Windows 7 Embedded Licensing Compliance Question RRS feed

• Question

•  I have a few licensing questions that I’m hoping you can assist with.  My client is selling the new product that has its own PC.  When they get it in from overseas, they take out the existing hard drive, replace it with an SSD and then throw a Ghost image on it.  To license it,  They are using a COA that is affixed to the inside of the cabinet where the PC resides.  What I’d like to know is if they are doing is proper.  I’ve attached a picture of the COA so you can see exactly what I’m working with.  I’m a little concerned because I believe it is for an embedded version of Windows 7 Pro.

So here are a couple of questions:

1. Am I ok to use this COA while installing a full version of Win7 Pro on the computer?
    2. Are there different COA requirements for different regions of the world?
      1. Where I’m going with this one is our machine is coming out of Asia.  Is the COA specific to Asia or can it be used anywhere in the world?
        1. I know there are region / language specific versions of Windows so I’m wondering if there are corresponding COA limitations.

This is a picture of the COA coming from Asia

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:52 PM

All replies

• It is a  good question, but these forums are more for technical questions about building images. License and legal questions are best ask directly to a Microsoft distributor who can address them.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 2:49 AM
  • That does not look like the Windows Embedded COA I am familar with. It looks like the "Windows Embedded Enterprise" one. Basically a full version of the OS, but licensed for embedded use.

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/windows-embedded-7.aspx

I think yours is the one on the left. I use the one in the middle and I build the images myself.

If you're getting them from some random Taiwan maker, you should be able to get them built to order. (Although it depends on quantities, etc.)  complete with your image and the correct (little tiny?) COA seal that does NOT include a Product Key because it's built into your image.

You're going to need to talk to your M$ person for the legal aspect.

=^x^=

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:18 AM
  • Thanks for the input  P 'Bunny' E !
    Friday, July 29, 2016 8:51 PM
  • Your are also failing on the Ghost licencing front.

Symantec require about $20 per Ghost image deployed, which is why MS developed DISKPART, IMAGEX etc so you did not have to licence Ghost for image deployment.

ian_m42

Monday, August 8, 2016 1:25 PM