none
C# vs ASP.NET as a server side language RRS feed

• Question

• I nave no knowledge in server side script language like PHP,Ruby,Python...

I have to make a simple web based program.

Each office send some event log to the office which have a server.

To do this, I have to make server side code which run in the office where server is.

Is it possible to make server side code with C#?

Which one is relevant between C# and ASP.NET?(I have no knowledge in ASP.NET)

Can anybody give me some advice?

Monday, April 23, 2018 6:27 PM

All replies

• https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/303247/info-asp-net-code-behind-model-overview

One can consider the ASPX.CS or ASPX.VB codebehind as server-side code.

ASP.NET issues can be discussed at the ASP.NET Forums.

http://forums.asp.net/

Monday, April 23, 2018 7:25 PM
  • Hello,

You can write C# code for ASP.NET solutions. 

A good place to ask is in the ASP.NET forums.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Monday, April 23, 2018 7:26 PM
  • ASP.Net is not a language. Anyone that calls it a language is not experienced with it. ASP.Net is a part of the server, IIS. If the server is IIS and you write any server-side code then you use ASP.Net, regardless of the language.

All server-side languages execute as a Common Gateway Interface (CGI) application or something like it. Most are actually a more efficient version of CGI. You can read about CGI if you want to but the important thing is that all server-side languages are executed in a similar way, no matter what the server is; Apache is the same as IIS in this manner. A CGI application (including ASP.Net and PHP) reads in a file and creates a HTML file as output.

So for ASP.Net we write a HTML file that has ASP.Net tags in it that cause code written in a language such as C# to be executed. Such files have an aspx extension or something similar. ASP.Net reads the file, processes the tags and executes the code and writes out a HTML file that is sent to the browser. Browsers only understand the HTML, they never see the ASP.Net stuff.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

• Proposed as answer by Lee Liu Tuesday, April 24, 2018 6:10 AM
    Monday, April 23, 2018 7:54 PM