none
Spotlight.obj :Why dosen't the graphics work? RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to start "Reference platform 2011" RDS seems to hang on Spotlight.obj and won't load. Does anyone know what is wrong? and more importantly how to fix it. I've included some screen shots, thinking it might help.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 7:42 PM

Answers

• OK, the errors are telling you that the file "simulatedkinect.config.xml" is no longer a valid document and cannot be loaded.  My first step would be to fix that document if you know what it is you changed or delete it and find the original.

If you don't know what the change you made that caused the problem is, you could start fresh by deleting "C:\Users\Data\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4" and reinstalling.

A good way of diagnosing a problem like this is to use a local source control system to keep track of changes you've made.  Then if you break something you can look back to see what has changed to give you an idea of what may have gone wrong.  If you can't figure it out by reviewing the changes, you can use the source control system to revert to previous versions until you find the one that works and then find the exact change that broke things.

The two source control systems I'd recommend to help with this are Git or Mercurial.  Both of them have good Visual Studio support and Windows Explorer integration (via TortoiseGit and TortoiseHG).  Git in particular has a lot of community support and tooling around it so you can find articles like this one on using Git to debug like this.

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:34 PM

All replies

• Works for me, no issues.

Does this file exist?  "...\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\store\media\Spotlight.obj"

It's really hard to read the error messages, I see "Service references a different version of runtime" and "Failure to load referenced assemblies".  Sounds like a deeper problem.  One quick thing you could try would be to "Build all samples" from the Menu and watch closely for build failure messages.

Monday, August 20, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Same situation here -- it works for me on a freshly installed environment.

When this is running, open a web browser to http://localhost:50000/console/output.  This will get you a nice view of the debug logs of the system.  From there could you copy any errors and attach them to this thread?

I suspect it's a 'dirty environment' issue, meaning the suggestion to 'build all samples' above is a good one.

Monday, August 20, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Hi,

I tried "Build all samples", but Reference Platform 2011 still won't load. I've inserted an image of the Reference Platform 2011 and Build All Samples messages I am getting when I run those programs. I couldn't get the localhost website to open up because you need a usermname and password. Hopefully it will be easier for you to read the screen shot this time. Can you zoom in on the image?

Thanks for your help

s

Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:38 PM
  • I'm not able to read those screenshots, let's use the browser view and copy the text into this thread rather than take screenshots.

The problem I think you're running into is that Firefox doesn't support 'NTLM Authentication' that DSS uses to keep random people over the Internet from running away with your robot.  The way to fix this is to either use IE or Chrome which supports automatic authentication or to type in your windows username & password to that dialog when using Firefox.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:34 PM
  • Hi Jay,

OK, I was able to connect to http://localhost:50000/console/output. I see the following:

SerializerService:Deserialize Exception:System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing. at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.SerializerService.SkipToElement(XmlReader rd) at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.SerializerService.Deserialize(DeserializeRequestBase msg)
    Namespace http://schemas.microsoft.com/xw/2004/10/dssruntime/serializer.html
    Category DeserializeException
    Level q1:Error
    Time 2012-08-25T17:06:23.5283204Z
    Subject SerializerService:Deserialize Exception:System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing. at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.SerializerService.SkipToElement(XmlReader rd) at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.SerializerService.Deserialize(DeserializeRequestBase msg)
    Source
    CodeSite
    Close Menu 16 17:06:23 *** Could not deserialize document: C:\Users\David\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\simulatedkinect.config.xml System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing. at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.SerializerService.SkipToElement(XmlReader rd) at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.SerializerService.Deserialize(DeserializeRequestBase msg)
    Namespace http://schemas.microsoft.com/xw/2005/11/mountservice.html
    Category ExceptionDeserializingDocument
    Time 2012-08-25T17:06:23.9404297Z
    Subject Could not deserialize document: C:\Users\David\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\simulatedkinect.config.xml System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing. at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.SerializerService.SkipToElement(XmlReader rd) at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.SerializerService.Deserialize(DeserializeRequestBase msg)
    Source http://127.0.0.1:50000/mountpoint
    CodeSite
    Close Menu 31 17:06:28 *** SerializerService:SerializeToXmlWriter Exception:System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary. at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key) at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.DataCache.SerializerFromType(Type type) at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.SerializerService.SerializeToXmlWriter(SerializeToXmlWriter msg)
    Namespace http://schemas.microsoft.com/xw/2004/10/dssruntime/serializer.html
    Category SerializeToXmlWriterException
    Time 2012-08-25T17:06:28.1962891Z
    Subject SerializerService:SerializeToXmlWriter Exception:System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary. at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key) at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.DataCache.SerializerFromType(Type type) at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.SerializerService.SerializeToXmlWriter(SerializeToXmlWriter msg)
    Source
    CodeSite
    Close Menu 32 17:06:28 *** Could not deserialize document: C:\Users\David\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\simulatedkinect.config.xml System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary. at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key) at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.DataCache.SerializerFromType(Type type) at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.SerializerService.SerializeToXmlWriter(SerializeToXmlWriter msg)
    Namespace http://schemas.microsoft.com/xw/2005/11/mountservice.html
    Category ExceptionDeserializingDocument
    Time 2012-08-25T17:06:28.2636719Z
    Subject Could not deserialize document: C:\Users\David\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\simulatedkinect.config.xml System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary. at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key) at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.DataCache.SerializerFromType(Type type) at Microsoft.Dss.Services.Serializer.SerializerService.SerializeToXmlWriter(SerializeToXmlWriter msg)
    Source http://127.0.0.1:50000/mountpoint
    CodeSite

Saturday, August 25, 2012 5:23 PM
  • OK, the errors are telling you that the file "simulatedkinect.config.xml" is no longer a valid document and cannot be loaded.  My first step would be to fix that document if you know what it is you changed or delete it and find the original.

If you don't know what the change you made that caused the problem is, you could start fresh by deleting "C:\Users\Data\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4" and reinstalling.

A good way of diagnosing a problem like this is to use a local source control system to keep track of changes you've made.  Then if you break something you can look back to see what has changed to give you an idea of what may have gone wrong.  If you can't figure it out by reviewing the changes, you can use the source control system to revert to previous versions until you find the one that works and then find the exact change that broke things.

The two source control systems I'd recommend to help with this are Git or Mercurial.  Both of them have good Visual Studio support and Windows Explorer integration (via TortoiseGit and TortoiseHG).  Git in particular has a lot of community support and tooling around it so you can find articles like this one on using Git to debug like this.

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Hi,

I re installed the software and now it works just fine - Thanks for your help!

Sunday, September 2, 2012 6:09 PM