Customizing PBI. Need to update Categories.xml. Where Can i find it? RRS feed

• Question

• I am Customizing PBI. I have added different states and trying to Import them via Process Editor.

I have updated successfully, and can see the new states when I open a PBI.

But when I open the Backlogs on VSTS, I am getting the following error. -

TF400917: The current configuration is not valid for this feature. This feature cannot be used until you correct the configuration.

Details about the validation error appear below:

• The following element contains an error: RequirementBacklog/States. TF400536: This element defines the states for work items that appear on your backlog. The initial state value for each work item type must match one of the states defined in this element. The following work item types have an initial state that is not included in the defined states: 'Product Backlog Item'.

Can someone help me in fixing this.

Done some research and it says, I need to add the workitem type in the Categories.xml. Where Can i find it? (if it is the solution)

Monday, November 20, 2017 5:33 PM

All replies

• You need to update the process configuration, not the categories.

You can export/import the configuration using the Witadmin tool: witadmin.exe exportprocessconfig

Update the relevant backlog configuration by mapping the states of your WITD with the metastates defined in the XML, for example

<ProjectProcessConfiguration>
      <BugWorkItems category="Microsoft.BugCategory" pluralName="Bugs" singularName="Bug">
        <States>
          <State type="Proposed" value="New" />
          <State type="InProgress" value="Active" />
          <State type="Complete" value="Closed" />
          <State type="Resolved" value="Resolved" />
        </States>
      </BugWorkItems>

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 6:51 AM
  • Hi Vinay,

Are you using VSTS or on-premise TFS?

With witadmin, you can modify XML definition files to support the On-premises XML process model. For Hosted XML and Inheritance process models, you can only use witadmin commands to list information. 

If you are using on-premise TFS, try Johann's solution.

Best regards,

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click &amp;quot;Mark as Answer&amp;quot; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click &amp;quot;Unmark as Answer&amp;quot; if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:54 AM