Visual Studio 2017 questions RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following questions in relation to Visual Studio 2017:

1. Does Visual studio 2017 contain SSRS integration? if not, where would I find ssrs integration at?

2. Does Visual Studio 2017 contain the SSDT 2017 data tools? if not, where would I locate the SSDT 2017 data tools at?

3. Is Visual Studio 2017 separate from ssdt 2017 or is it in the same ide?

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 4:13 PM

Answers

• Hi wendy elizabeth,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>1.Does Visual studio 2017 contain SSRS integration? if not, where would I find ssrs integration at?

Please install the "Microsoft Reporting Services Projects" extension, then you could create and open a SSRS project in VS 2017.

>2. Does Visual Studio 2017 contain the SSDT 2017 data tools? if not, where would I locate the SSDT 2017 data tools at?

Please follow this DOC: Install SSDT with Visual Studio 2017

>3.Is Visual Studio 2017 separate from ssdt 2017 or is it in the same ide?

They will use the same ide.

Hope they could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 26, 2019 2:38 AM
  • Hi wendy elizabeth,

Thank you for reply.

According to your description, I have installed SSDT for VS2017 and VS2017 with SSDT on one machine. 

>For the function, the former only satisfies the use of SSDT, while the latter contains it and it has more features.

>For VS version, please refer the below images:

Therefore, these two versions are not two environments, similar to one is a single version, one is a multi-functional version.

If you want to use visual studio 2017 for a long time, I suggest you could uninstall SSDT for VS 2017.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi wendy elizabeth,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>1.Does Visual studio 2017 contain SSRS integration? if not, where would I find ssrs integration at?

Please install the "Microsoft Reporting Services Projects" extension, then you could create and open a SSRS project in VS 2017.

>2. Does Visual Studio 2017 contain the SSDT 2017 data tools? if not, where would I locate the SSDT 2017 data tools at?

Please follow this DOC: Install SSDT with Visual Studio 2017

>3.Is Visual Studio 2017 separate from ssdt 2017 or is it in the same ide?

They will use the same ide.

Hope they could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Thursday, September 26, 2019 2:38 AM
  • Thank you for your answers so far!

However I have the following additional question:

I already have the SSDT 2017 installed on my workstation. I now want to add Visual Studio 2017 right now. To accomplish this goal do I need to:

1. Uninstall ssdt 2017 and then install SSDT with Visual Studio 2017 or

2. Just go ahead and installed  install SSDT with Visual Studio 2017? if this is the case, will I have 1 or 2 environments for Visual Studio 2017?

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 9:21 PM
  • Hi wendy elizabeth,

Thank you for reply.

According to your description, I have installed SSDT for VS2017 and VS2017 with SSDT on one machine. 

>For the function, the former only satisfies the use of SSDT, while the latter contains it and it has more features.

>For VS version, please refer the below images:

Therefore, these two versions are not two environments, similar to one is a single version, one is a multi-functional version.

If you want to use visual studio 2017 for a long time, I suggest you could uninstall SSDT for VS 2017.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Right now I only have SSDT 2017 on my computer. I do not have visual studio 2017 on my computer yet.

Thus should I uninstall SSDT 2017 first and then install visual studio 2017 after words? What is the best method?

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 3:55 PM
  • Hi wendy elizabeth,

Thank you for reply.

The SSDT 2017 and VS2017 could coexist on one machine, so you could keep them at the same time and you do not need to uninstall SSDT 2017 in order to install VS2017.

So the best method I think, that you could install VS2017 without uninstalling SSDT 2017, then in the future, you can keep one of them according to your usage. For example, you could just install VS2017, then uninstall SSDT 2017, Or you find that SSDT 2107 can meet all your needs, then keep SSDT 2017 and uninstall VS 2017.

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 4:29 PM