Segoe UI Symbol Symbols on Silverlight RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was looking at the symbols available at Segoe UI Symbol font and I am trying to use one of them in my Silverlight Application.

However it was not being shown correctly, either at design time and runtime.

I would like to know if it will be possible to do that and how to properly embedd this font in my Project. It is already selected on my Project font manager.

This is how I am defining my test with the symbol:

<sdk:Label FontFamily="/OtimizeCloud;component/Fonts/Fonts.zip#Segoe UI Symbol" FontSize="14" Foreground="White" Content="&#xE115;"/>

Instead of the symbol I want, a strange "square" is shown.

Thank you,

Igor.

Desenvolvedor .NET para sistemas embarcados (www.duinolabs.com)

Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Igor,

According to your description, I created the project. Do you want to show the symbol below:

Because the foreground is the same as the background, it is suggested to modify the value of the foreground.

You may try the code below:

<sdk:Label HorizontalAlignment="Left" Height="28" Margin="50,50,0,0"                     VerticalAlignment="Top" Width="120" FontFamily="Segoe UI Symbol" Content="&#xE115;" Foreground="Black"  FontSize="14" /> 

In addition, there is an article about How to use your own fonts within Silverlight . It may be helpful.

Please let me know if I have misunderstood you.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, September 9, 2013 10:15 AM
  • Hello Yunjie,

I have sucessfully put the font to work in my PC (because it has the symbolUI font installed). I have also addded the seguisym.ttf glyph using Expression Blend and it is added in my project as a "BlendEmbeddedFont".

However, when I run my SL app in a PC with no Segoe UI fonte, the symbol is not shown.

What my be hapeening?

Igor.

Monday, September 16, 2013 11:17 AM
  • Hi Igor,

According to your description, I am not sure the meaning of “a PC with no Segoe UI font”.

Do you mean that the PC does not install the symbol UI font?

And you run the application through adding the font to your project?

If so, you need to do the following steps:

• Find you font file
    • Add your font to your project
    • Apply the font to a control

You may go to the link below for more details:

Custom Fonts in Silverlight

http://www.jeffblankenburg.com/2009/07/08/day-8-custom-fonts-in-silverlight/

If it does not work , please provide us with the information about your operation in every step.

Hope it helps.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:54 AM
  • Hello Yunjie,

Thank you for the reply back,

The font is installed, but the symbol is not shown correctly on screen. As I am using a special character, I presume it is in in another glyph that Blend is not capable of embedding.

If the Silverlight app is run in a PC with Windows 8, the font is shown OK.

Please also look on the content of my sample: ="&#xE115. It is a special code rather than a plain text.

Do you think that maybe Blend is not embedding everything on the font into the Silverlight app?

Thank you,

Igor.

Monday, September 30, 2013 12:27 PM
  • Hello Yunjie,

Thank you for the reply back,

The font is installed, but the symbol is not shown correctly on screen. As I am using a special character, I presume it is in in another glyph that Blend is not capable of embedding.

If the Silverlight app is run in a PC with Windows 8, the font is shown OK.

Please also look on the content of my sample: ="&#xE115. It is a special code rather than a plain text.

Do you think that maybe Blend is not embedding everything on the font into the Silverlight app?

Thank you,

Igor.

It is me again! I did a really small sample (code is here: http://sdrv.ms/18k0gha)

As you can see there is a commented label that is the one with the FontFamily set automatically with blend. With this option, I cannot see the symbol correctly even in my PC.

But, with the version that is not commented, I can see in my pc running the test page, but If I do that on an old PC machine the symbol is not shown either. It shows a small rectangle only.

So, I n order to reproduce what I am saying, please just rung this program in a PC that does not gave the Segoe UI Symbol font installed on windows for instance.

Monday, September 30, 2013 1:17 PM