none
SB failed parental controls b/c compiled to seperate executable - can SB be augmented to allow programs to optionally run in AppDomain of SB.EXE? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Small Basic (SB) to show my sons a little about programming.  However, I use Windows 7 parental controls to control their access to the computer.  Since SB compiles to a new executable in the user's temp directory for every run, the restricted parental controls (set to only allow my child to run programs that I have enabled/permissioned) cause the program to fail.

Can SB, instead or additionally, have the option to run the newly compiled program in an .NET AppDomain of the SB.EXE process?   This would enable my children to write programs using SB.EXE, allow me to restrict their access to only certain programs, and provide isolation to SB.EXE from the written programs as they will be run in an isolated AppDomain?

Thank you,
    David.

btw - the way you are displaying intellisense information as the user types is incredible; between that and the clear getting started guide, I believe that my children will be able to quickly pick it up.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:29 AM

Answers

• You can save the SmallBasic file to any directory and run it from there.  It is only present in a temp directory before it is saved.  I save to a public directory so anyone can run and save cases.  I run with Vista and use some parental controls, but this allows programs to be run in public folders by all users, perhaps Windows 7 or your parental controls are more limiting.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:26 AM