none
HTML Formatted text in VS2008, SSRS 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Synopsis: I am in immediate need of the SSRS control with SQL 2008 that will allow for HTML encoded text in a column be displayed properly.  I am wondering if I download the SQL 2008 RC0 from MSDN if I can install and use this control in an ASP.NET project.

Details:
    Here is the scenario in more detail.  I have a VS2008, ASP.NET web project where the user can use the FCKEditor web control to enter formatted text.  The control saves the text with all the HTML tags in the database.  If I then retrieve this data in an HTML page, it looks fine.

However, If I use the SSRS control from VS2008 with this data, all the HTML tags show up in the report.

My understanding is that the SQL 2008 SSRS engine will now allow you to show the HTML encoded text as it would show on a web page.

My Question is, if I download and install the RC0 version of SQL 2008, do I get this new Reporting services control?  Can I then use it in my Visual Studio 2008 project?

I am going to cross post this in several forums, since the question crosses several products. :)

Thanks!

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:14 PM

Answers

• The standalone ReportViewer control does not ship with SQL Server, so there is nothing in that download that you can load into ASP.Net.  However, if you use SQL Server 2008, the the rich text capabilities will be available to the existing VS 2008 ASP.Net ReportViewer control when it runs in server mode.

An updated version of the ReportViewer that includes the SQL 2008 processing engine (and therefore rich text support), is currently in development and will be released separately.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 11:36 PM
  •  Yes, the VS 2008 report viewer control can connect to a RS 2008 server.  In server mode, it will render reports with all the new features such as gauge.

However, if you need a local mode control with all the RS 2008 engine capabilities, you will have to wait until it is made available.

-- Robert
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:21 AM

All replies

• The standalone ReportViewer control does not ship with SQL Server, so there is nothing in that download that you can load into ASP.Net.  However, if you use SQL Server 2008, the the rich text capabilities will be available to the existing VS 2008 ASP.Net ReportViewer control when it runs in server mode.

An updated version of the ReportViewer that includes the SQL 2008 processing engine (and therefore rich text support), is currently in development and will be released separately.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 11:36 PM
  • That answers my question.  Thanks!

Saturday, July 12, 2008 12:06 AM
  • "An updated version of the ReportViewer that includes the SQL 2008 processing engine (and therefore rich text support), is currently in development and will be released separately."

Any idea when this will be released?  Is there a CTP beta out yet?  Where can we go for a release schedule?
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:31 PM
  • There is no specific release data announced for an updated local mode ReportViewer which includes the RS 2008 processing engine.  However, some more info can be found in this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3432283&SiteID=1

-- Robert
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:31 PM
  • Wait, maybe I don't have an issue after all.  It's the "local mode" that made me ask this question.  I am using Visual Studio 2008.  I have an ASP .Net 3.5 web application where I am using a Report Viewer Control to access SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services reports.  (server mode).  I just got a SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services instance up and running and created some reports using the new features, such as dundas gauges.  Will the report viewer in VS2008 (ASP .Net 3.5) render reports from SQL Server Reporting Services 2008?  If it's a server report?  (i.e. is this issue we are speaking of only for rdlc not rdl)

I didn't actually try a SRS2008 report in the VS2008 report viewer control...I just read this article and thought it was a show stopper for me.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:11 PM
  •  Yes, the VS 2008 report viewer control can connect to a RS 2008 server.  In server mode, it will render reports with all the new features such as gauge.

However, if you need a local mode control with all the RS 2008 engine capabilities, you will have to wait until it is made available.

-- Robert
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:21 AM