Windows Mobile 5 Application - Opinion needed RRS feed

• Question

• This is my first WM 5.0 app and I have a question.

Would it be better to develop a desktop app with scaled down form sizes and have the user use Terminal Services Client to remote into the server and use the application there? Rather than creating a application that runs on the hand-held itself?

Wouldnt it be just as good, if not better, so long as I make my form sizes proper sizes? If I did that, then the user is only transfering "images" if the desktop rather than data sets, database connection, and everything else in a client/server database application, right?
    Monday, August 8, 2011 2:51 PM

All replies

• On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 14:51:45 +0000, Jimbohanna wrote:

This is my first WM 5.0 app and I have a question.

Would it be better to develop a desktop app with scaled down form sizes and have the user use Terminal Services Client to remote into the server and use the application there? Rather than creating a application that runs on the hand-held itself?

Wouldnt it be just as good, if not better, so long as I make my form sizes proper sizes? If I did that, then the user is only transfering "images" if the desktop rather than data sets, database connection, and everything else in a client/server database application, right?

A very definite maybe. Depends on
    1) stability of connection between device and server
    2) bandwidth of connection between device and server
    3) number of screens to be displayed
    4) actual quantity of data being collected and sent to server
    5) number of handhelds being used and size of server

Some of our users are in factories with unreliable wireless. Some of our users are on the
    road, with maybe daily connections to the server. One of our users was on a ship, with no
    direct connection to the server for days.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.

This is what I have come up with thus far.  All hand held user will be using WiFi in a industrial environment. We are looking at about 2-4 devices.  All of which will probably not be on at the same time 90% of the time.

Our Inventory system currently uses a Access DB as the backend.  Since WM5 doesnt support OLEDB connection i had to add a "Web Service" to handle all the database calls and updates via OLEDB.

All of the database calls and updates I am trying to make as lightweight as possible to limit the amount of data going over the Wifi.  Since I am only connected to the database when I update or go get the data I really don't care if the wifi drops...no harm will be done.  Obviously, all bets are off if the connection drops in 1 second it takes to do an update.

I had given that Terminal Service idea some thought, but there would have been many "what if's" In the end I think making a lightweight WM app would be better than trying to modify forms in my desktop application to fit a mobile screen.

PDS
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 8:49 PM
  • On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 20:49:32 +0000, Jimbohanna wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

This is what I have come up with thus far.  All hand held user will be using WiFi in a industrial environment. We are looking at about 2-4 devices.  All of which will probably not be on at the same time 90% of the time.

Our Inventory system currently uses a Access DB as the backend.  Since WM5 doesnt support OLEDB connection i had to add a "Web Service" to handle all the database calls and updates via OLEDB.

All of the database calls and updates I am trying to make as lightweight as possible to limit the amount of data going over the Wifi.  Since I am only connected to the database when I update or go get the data I really don't care if the wifi drops...no harm will be done.  Obviously, all bets are off if the connection drops in 1 second it takes to do an update.

I had given that Terminal Service idea some thought, but there would have been many "what if's" In the end I think making a lightweight WM app would be better than trying to modify forms in my desktop application to fit a mobile screen.

Hard to tell from where I sit whether your decision is reasonable.

I am definitely biased, but really do believe that buying is very often faster, and often
    less expensive, than building your own. Especially if the specs might change and/or you're
    dealing with something, like a potentially unstable network, that needs solid error
    handling. Several companies, including mine, make software that may do the job for you.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:40 PM
  • I appreciate your opinion. But we are also a software company.  We just have never made a WM5 app.  There will be no ready-made 3rd party application that will work with our application the way we need it and will most likely need additional programing.  So making our own is the best choice for us.  Cost, there is none since we are doing it in house and we already have VS 2008 professional all licensed. Thank you.

PDS
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:17 PM