none
Office 2007 and 2010 deploy scenarios RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a clean way to develop Word add-ins against VSTO 2010 and have the deploy support clients that use 32 bit Office 2007 OR 2010?  The add-in will not use version specific features.
    adam
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Adam,

Thank you for posting.

I did some research about this problem and I think it may possible to develop  a add-in which is not version specific. Besides, here is a blog article about creating an Add-in for Office 2007 and Office 2010:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsto/archive/2010/06/04/creating-an-add-in-for-office-2007-and-office-2010-that-quot-lights-up-quot-on-office-2010-mclean-schofield.aspx

which describes like follows:

With Visual Studio 2010, this scenario gets better. If you target the .NET Framework 4, you can now create a single add-in that targets both Office 2007 and Office 2010, and uses features that are available only to Office 2010 (this is the “lights up” part of the title of this blog). This is possible by virtue of the new embedded interop types feature in Visual Studio 2010 (also sometimes referred to as no-PIA or by the related /link compiler option). When you compile an add-in project that targets the .NET Framework 4, by default* the type information for all the PIA types referenced in the add-in code is embedded in the add-in assembly. At run time, this type information is used to resolve calls to the underlying COM type, rather than relying on type information in the PIAs.

Hope the article can help you.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by adamhodge Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:35 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Adam,

Thank you for posting.

I did some research about this problem and I think it may possible to develop  a add-in which is not version specific. Besides, here is a blog article about creating an Add-in for Office 2007 and Office 2010:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsto/archive/2010/06/04/creating-an-add-in-for-office-2007-and-office-2010-that-quot-lights-up-quot-on-office-2010-mclean-schofield.aspx

which describes like follows:

With Visual Studio 2010, this scenario gets better. If you target the .NET Framework 4, you can now create a single add-in that targets both Office 2007 and Office 2010, and uses features that are available only to Office 2010 (this is the “lights up” part of the title of this blog). This is possible by virtue of the new embedded interop types feature in Visual Studio 2010 (also sometimes referred to as no-PIA or by the related /link compiler option). When you compile an add-in project that targets the .NET Framework 4, by default* the type information for all the PIA types referenced in the add-in code is embedded in the add-in assembly. At run time, this type information is used to resolve calls to the underlying COM type, rather than relying on type information in the PIAs.

Hope the article can help you.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by adamhodge Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:35 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 9:55 AM
  • and you can always use the good old "shared add-in"-development track that is cross-Office compatible and still use all the goodies from VSTO. I use it now for supporting both Office 2010 and 2007 and it works very well :)
    Andreas M.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 11:37 AM
  • Hi Adam,

Have you figured out your problem yet, and do the suggestions help you? If you still have any concern on the thread, feel free to follow up.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Bruce,

Yes, your original post is great and working very well for me.  Thanks for the help. 

adam

adam
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:36 AM