none
Sending print job to print server with copy command RRS feed

• Question

• I support an application that has already been windows 7 certified. In a section of the application, when a user prints a report, the print command is sent to a network printer installed on network server (Win SBS 2008) with the following command line syntax.

Copy <filename> \\<servername>\<printerName >

When a domain user with only local user issues this command from a windows 7 machine they get an “access denied” message. However a user with domain administrator or domain print operator privileges can run the command and print to the network printer on the print server.

This particular print server is small business server 2008 standard

The domain user with local user account privileges can print to the network printer on the print server through normal windows print process

The share permissions of the printer on the server are everyone read. But I added (just to test) full control to domain users. -   The access problem remained

From the windows 7 machine, a user can issue a straight copy command to a shared directory on the same server without a problem so the issue isn’t with the “copy” command

I’ve tried elevating the user on the win 7 machine to local admin and disabling UAC but the user still could not successfully send the copy command to the print server.

There are other domain users using XP pro workstations on the LAN running this application/command to the same print server without a problem

I turned on informational print messages to be logged in the event viewer. – No messages were logged by the copy command when access was denied.

I am left to believe that there is something between windows 7 and, ,either SBS 2008 or Server 2008, that will not allow a user without elevated privileges issue a print command from the command line.

Can  you tell me how I can get a local user to send this command from a win 7 machine without elevating user privileges

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:52 PM

All replies