Howto find out which API is responsible for a capability needed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an app that is proud of not needing ID_CAP_NETWORKING.

Now a user reports that in WP7 the networking capability is needed. I can't identify the call that's responsible for it. The code-shared WP8-version doesn't need the capability.

Is there a tool that can identify the capabilities? I used the store test kit, but it doesn't tell me who uses the cap.

Thomas

Thursday, July 3, 2014 6:49 PM

Answers

• ID_HW_CAMERA is required for references to classes: CameraCaptureTask, PhotoChooserTask, Camera, PhotoCmera, CaptureSource, or Method: MediaLibrary::SavePictureToCameraRoll.

If you want to view the rules that are applied by the Capability Validation test for evaluating the capabilities that an app uses, they are in a file named Rules.xml that you can find at one of the following locations.

• Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v7.1\Tools\Marketplace

• Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v7.1\Tools\Marketplace

Thursday, July 3, 2014 11:17 PM

All replies

• Store kit is the only tool available.Capability Validation test should detect the specific capabilities.

You can use the Capability Validation test in the Windows Phone Store Test Kit to detect the specific capabilities required by an app that targets Windows Phone OS 7.1. The Windows Phone Store Test Kit is a suite of tests with which you can evaluate your app for Windows Phone Store readiness. The Windows Phone Store Test Kit contains a Capability Validation test that runs as part of its automated test suite for apps that target Windows Phone OS 7.1. For more information about the Windows Phone Store Test Kit, see Windows Phone Store Test Kit for Windows Phone 8.

Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:03 PM
  • I used the Store test kit to find out which version from TeamServer introduced the capability but I couldn't identify which API was responsible.

The Store Test Kit just tells me that a cap is needed but not which API is responsible.

Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:22 PM
  • ID_HW_CAMERA is required for references to classes: CameraCaptureTask, PhotoChooserTask, Camera, PhotoCmera, CaptureSource, or Method: MediaLibrary::SavePictureToCameraRoll.

If you want to view the rules that are applied by the Capability Validation test for evaluating the capabilities that an app uses, they are in a file named Rules.xml that you can find at one of the following locations.

• Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v7.1\Tools\Marketplace

• Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v7.1\Tools\Marketplace

Thursday, July 3, 2014 11:17 PM
  • ID_CAP_NETWORKING was in question. I now located the reason, it was the WP7.1 Toolkit that I use for the ContextMenu. In my WP8 Version the toolkit does not result in the networking capability being used.

What I am trying now is to include the neecssary sources from the toolkit for the ContextMenu and compile them into my project.

Friday, July 4, 2014 10:04 AM