none
Form Designer

Question

• Hello:

I am developing a VB2013 windows desktop application. Every time that I click on an object on a form, an event handler is created. This is very annoying but it has only started to happen recently. In the past, I had to double click on an object in order to create an event handler.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 3:17 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

>>Should this create event handlers?

By default, we need to double-click the object then the Event handlers shows up, we couldn’t press CTRL key or the SHIFT key down while selecting objects on the form.

For this issue, please try the following steps:

1. Try devenv /resetsettings or devenv /setup in Command Prompt to exclude that some VS settings changed.
    2. restart Windows and in safe mode, run devenv /safemode in Visual Studio 2015 Command Prompt.

If in safe mode this issue disappeared, the cause should be third-party applications, services or Visual Studio Add-ins.

3.>>I didn't notice this problem until I downloaded some VB2013 updates

You may also disable or uninstall the updates that you have installed according to the date you install as seen in the following screenshot if we make sure that the extension tool impacts the mouse click:

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 10, 2016 7:22 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

By default, we need to double click an object then an event handler is created.

You have to check if the cause is related your mouse. Please click a file on desktop to see whether the file is opened.

If this still happens when onclick on other files or folders, maybe you need to change a new mouse.

Else, you may check the mouse setting that if you have set that onclick could open a file.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 7:59 AM
  • Thanks for your advice Lana. Double-Click is required to open a file on my desktop. So I guess the mouse is okay.

I now see that the event handler is created in VB2013 when I hold either the CTRL key or the SHIFT key down while selecting objects on the form. That is, I am trying to select multiple objects on the form. Sorry for not providing more accurate information the first time. Should this create event handlers?

<o:p>I didn't notice this problem until I downloaded some VB2013 updates that showed up under Tools -> Extensions And Updates a month or so ago. I don't see those updates listed under Control Panel -> Programs And Features, so I don't know what the updates were now.</o:p>

John<o:p></o:p>

Thursday, June 9, 2016 11:07 AM
  • Hi John,

>>Should this create event handlers?

By default, we need to double-click the object then the Event handlers shows up, we couldn’t press CTRL key or the SHIFT key down while selecting objects on the form.

For this issue, please try the following steps:

1. Try devenv /resetsettings or devenv /setup in Command Prompt to exclude that some VS settings changed.
    2. restart Windows and in safe mode, run devenv /safemode in Visual Studio 2015 Command Prompt.

If in safe mode this issue disappeared, the cause should be third-party applications, services or Visual Studio Add-ins.

3.>>I didn't notice this problem until I downloaded some VB2013 updates

You may also disable or uninstall the updates that you have installed according to the date you install as seen in the following screenshot if we make sure that the extension tool impacts the mouse click:

Best Regards,

Friday, June 10, 2016 7:22 AM