Changing the childframe´s icon dinamically RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

I am building a multidoc MFC App. Accordingly to certain data given at startup the App is supposed to create docs that have certain iconsthat should be displayed by my child frame, everytime a doc is created. Namely, as the App starts a new doc is created and the child frame displayed should hold a particular icon.

I have tried GetParentFrame()->SetIcon(ico1, FALSE) in CmyView class. It is ok, but in order to display the correct icon, I need to resize the child frame: to minimize it and then maximize it again, for instance.

In a website it is suggested to override the CView::OnCreate() function. But as I implement it, I get a runtime error (no idea why!):

int CmyView::OnCreate(LPCREATESTRUCT lpcs)

{

CWnd::OnCreate(lpcs);

HICON ico1 = AfxGetApp()->LoadIconA(IDI_ICON1);

GetParentFrame()->SetIcon(ico1, FALSE);

return 0;

}

Can anyone help? Thanks

Jorge Teixeira

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Welcome back.

Based on your description, you want the ChildFrame changes automatically, when the inputting occurs. Maybe your application can not retrieve the changes dynamically. Here, I suggest you create a button to handle the displayed action, so that you can get the result you want.

Have a good weekend.

Regards,

Elegentin

Elegentin Xie [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, July 13, 2012 8:14 AM
  • Thank you both. The suggestion milonass gave didn´t work.

Meanwhile I found myself a solution: dinamically resizing the child frame. After that, the window does assume the desired icon.

Jorge

Jorge Teixeira

Friday, July 20, 2012 3:05 AM

All replies

• Can you please look the following msdn forum

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/is/vcgeneral/thread/06ade4fe-00c6-4d55-a366-cb47e8716efc

Thanks and Regards Selvam http://www15.brinkster.com/selvamselvam/

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:26 AM
  • Thank you Selvan.

I have already found that forum, but the proposed slutions do not work ...

Jorge Teixeira

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:44 AM
  • Hi Jorge Teixeira 1957,

Welcome here.

Based on my understanding, may I ask you a question: have you put the GetParentFrame()->SetIcon( , ) inside the function void OnInitialUpdate() of the CView file(quoting from the last reply of Selvams link )?

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Elegentin

Elegentin Xie [MSFT]

Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Hi Xie!

Indeed I have already tried that apporach, but got nothing.

Jorge

Jorge Teixeira

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:09 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome back.

Would you mind show your error?

If you want to dynamically change the icon, maybe you can try to verify your own icon to your frame, using

m_hIcon = (HICON) LoadImage (NULL, L"C:\\...\\222.ico",
                  IMAGE_ICON, 0, 0, LR_LOADFROMFILE); //load icon from your path

See more:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcmfcatl/thread/05a846ed-8f05-45f0-a197-7904aa7f0b99 (Load icon dynamically)

I hope my suggestions will help.

Regrads,

Elegentin

Elegentin Xie [MSFT]

Friday, July 13, 2012 4:41 AM
  • Hi again!

The problem is not loading the icon: the problem is loading it at startup. I shall be more specific.

My App is supposed to produce a certain kind of docs. In CmyDoc there is a variable, let us call it x. The values of x will be generated by a function of CmyDoc, thar depends of user input values a and b. Depending on the values of x, the CmyDoc::OnNewDocument() should produce a view with an accordingly ChildFrame´s icon. For instance: if a=1 and b=2, then x=10 and a childframe with ico1 should be displayed; should a and b have other values, so other icons should be displayed.

With the above mentioned apporach, I´ll have them displayed only if I manually resize the childframe ... not when the view opens.

I hope I made myself clear. Thanks for help.

Jorge

Jorge Teixeira

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:48 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome back.

Based on your description, you want the ChildFrame changes automatically, when the inputting occurs. Maybe your application can not retrieve the changes dynamically. Here, I suggest you create a button to handle the displayed action, so that you can get the result you want.

Have a good weekend.

Regards,

Elegentin

Elegentin Xie [MSFT]

Friday, July 13, 2012 8:14 AM
  • Did you try a

RedrawWindow(NULL, NULL, RDW_ALLCHILDREN | RDW_INVALIDATE | RDW_UPDATENOW | RDW_FRAME | RDW_ERASE);

?

Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:34 PM
  • Thank you both. The suggestion milonass gave didn´t work.

Meanwhile I found myself a solution: dinamically resizing the child frame. After that, the window does assume the desired icon.

Jorge

Jorge Teixeira

Friday, July 20, 2012 3:05 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome back.
    Thanks for your sharing answer here, it’s very great and helpful for other community members who stunk in the similar issue.
    Regards,
    Elegentin

Elegentin Xie [MSFT]

Friday, July 20, 2012 3:35 AM