none
Driver uninstallation failed as *.Unload file is missing(not generated during driver cab installation) in WinCE 7 RRS feed

• Question

• We have a USB functional driver for our smart card reader. We installed the driver through a cab file generated using CabWizard. The cab installation/uninstallation works perfectly under Windows CE 5.0 and 6.0. In case of Windows CE 7.0, only installation works, uninstallation fails with the following error message.

"The program has not been removed because the following files are currently in use or are read-only. Please close all programs and run Remove Programs again.

\Windows\************.Unload"

On analysis, it was found that *.unload file, which will be created during installation under \Windows folder, is only created in WinCE 5.0 and 6.0 but not in WinCE 7.0 and hence the uninstallation fails in 7.0. Is there any change in the way the driver uninstallation works in WinCE 7.0?

PS Functionally, the driver works perfectly in all OS.

• Edited by montu89c Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:28 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:26 PM

All replies

• By default, an unload file is generated during installation using Wceload.

The Unloadfile filename uses the format <Software Provider Name> <Program Name>, where Software Provider Name is generated from the Provider field of the Version section of the .inf file, and Program Name is generated from the AppName field of the CEStrings section of the .inf file.

If you specify the nouninstall option during Wceload, this file will not be generated.

Rakesh.

• Edited by Rakesh Zalavadiya Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:43 AM removed unexpected text
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:41 AM
  • @Rakesh

Thank you for the reply. I forgot to mention that I did not specify any switches like /nouninstall while generating the cab file using cabwizard.

And morever, I am sure that /nouninstall switch is not activated by default in the cabwizard for WinCE 7.0 as, after installation of the driver in WinCE 7.0, I can see the installed driver entry in the Remove programs under control panel. As far as I know, if we enable /nouninstall switch, the installed driver entry will not be available under Remove programs. So I am pretty sure that switch is not enabled.

More about the issue, I tried to copy the *.unload file that was generated for our driver cab during installation in WinCE 6.0 under \Windows, to WinCE 7.0 and tried uninstalling the installed driver in WinCE 7.0. What happened was, the driver and the respective registry entries were deleted. However, when I try to install the same driver once again in WinCE7.0, it says that "A previous entry of the driver is available, do you want to remove it before installing this?" Once again, the *.unload file is not generated.

My question is "Why is the unload file not generated in WinCE 7.0?" As far as I searched, I could not see any proper documentation available for uninstalling a driver in WinCE 7.0.

• Edited by montu89c Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:41 AM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:40 AM
  • Hi Montu89c / Rakesh ,

We are facing a similar problem. Did you find out the solution ? I tried to use the latest cabwiz, even then there is no use. Kindly let us know if you are able to slove the "unload file not generated in WinCE 7.0" problem. 

Best Regards,

Xavier

Xavier P

Friday, May 16, 2014 12:23 PM