opening Windows mounted volumes (junctions) using CreateFile() RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Please point me to the correct forum, if the question below is inappropriate in this forum.

Does anyone know how to open Windows mounted volumes(called Junctions) using CreateFile()?

To summarize the issue, I have been able to successfully open the (test) files on the filesystem and raw (physical?) devices. I do this to generate low-level I/O workload to check the device performance. Folks who used sqlio and sqliostress will understand what I am referring to. There is a subtle difference between the way the regular file and the physical device is opened, but it works perfectly fine. However, if there is a dynamic disk that has a couple of (simple) volumes and if you want to access one of these volumes using CreateFile(), then it's going to be challenging.

Anyways, my attempt to open these mounted volumes generate following error:

Error: The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
      Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

Reading the manual does not provide any helpful hints or a direction to resolve this issue. I can post more details if anyone would like to have addional info.

I appreciate your comments/suggestions/thoughts.

thanks.

senthil

Monday, July 30, 2007 7:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Ramkrishna,

Thanks for your reply.

I visited the website. It didn't provide the info that I was looking for, but, it did help me try out few more things to resolve the issue.

For those who are interested, It was a mistake on my end to just copy-paste the mountvol command output and expect it to work. The trailing backslash ("\") was the culprit. CreateFile() was happy to successfully open without the trailing backslash.

senthil

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:51 AM

All replies

• Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:51 AM

• Hi Ramkrishna,

Thanks for your reply.

I visited the website. It didn't provide the info that I was looking for, but, it did help me try out few more things to resolve the issue.

For those who are interested, It was a mistake on my end to just copy-paste the mountvol command output and expect it to work. The trailing backslash ("\") was the culprit. CreateFile() was happy to successfully open without the trailing backslash.

senthil

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:51 AM
  • So the problem is solved.. huh. Smile

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:13 PM