none
Renew Developer License for Windows 8.1 results in 0x80004002 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running VS2013 Ultimate and I'm running into a problem renewing my Windows 8.1 developer license. I think the problem has to do with not being able to properly connect to the license server.

When I attempt to renew my license, I get a 0x80004002 "No such interface supported." On another computer, it does not even attempt to renew the license, so I'm assuming that something funky is going on. (I believe the license is valid, but this device is trying to download it from the wrong place).

How can I fix this?

[edit] This comes at the "Contacting license server..." step.
    • Edited by Muhweli Monday, October 6, 2014 12:37 PM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 11:12 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Forgot to reply to this.

So I did all the steps, reinstalled everything, removed older Visual Studios etc. but to the problem persisted. Is it possible that the developer license registration tool is not removed and reinstalled with these packages?

That being said, in order for it to not impede with my work, I had to reinstall Windows from a clean format and everything works peachy now. I'd like to think that there's an easier way, but there's no way of telling now. :)

Thanks for the effort though.

Monday, October 13, 2014 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Magnus,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

How did you renew your license? I test it in my side, it works well in my side if I get it under the menu PROJECT->Store->Acquire Development License… like the following screen shot.

Do you get the window which requires input the Microsoft account like the following screen shot?

If not, I doubt that it would be your Environment issue.

But if you could get it, whether you could get the new license in other VS machine with the same account?

To make sure that it is not your VS IDE issue, please reset your VS settings, and then run it as the admin, test it again.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms247075(v=vs.100).aspx

To make sure that it is not the add-ins or the extension tools’ issue, please run your VS in safe mode:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278.aspx

In addition, I got different ways to get a developer license, maybe you could check it here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh974578.aspx

>> 0x80004002 "No such interface supported."

Based on the error, please make sure that it is not the download managers’ issue.

https://support2.microsoft.com/kb/832489?wa=wsignin1.0

If still no help, maybe you could reinstall your VS, and then try to get a new license again.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:39 AM
  • Okay so a tiny update. I tried the other ways to get the developer license with the same result.

I want to emphasize that I have done these steps:

1) Ran as an admin (doing that almost always)

2) Reset my settings

3) Ran the fix kit for VS2013

4) Attempted to acquire the license in VS2012 as well (neither work, I assume it's the same tool they use to acquire it)

5) Attempted to use PowerShell to get the license (same issue)

6) Verified that there are no Download Managers present

7) Reboot

The only thing left to do appears to be Reinstalling the whole system that'll take forever and I've already wasted a day of work on this.

To more reiterate on the problem, I do NOT get a Microsoft Account login prompt.

Whether I run it from the PowerShell or either of the Visual Studios installed, I get the first window, it stays there for a ~second and then shows the other one. Here's the output from PowerShell. The 'Show-WindowsDeveloperLiveRegistration' command opens up the dialogs shown in the image below. 'Retry' just repeats it and the output (red text) comes after clicking 'Close'.

The fact that I never get prompted for login looks like the server is either blocking me or it tries to contact wrong server all together and gets data that is not in the correct format.

Furthermore, I tried listening the network traffic with Fiddler during this license acquisition phase, but nothing showed up (altho I'm not a wiz with Fiddler, I might've been doing something wrong).

Any other ideas?

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 11:19 AM
  • Reinstalling Visual Studio (removed both 2012 and 2013) 2013 did NOT help. :/
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

>>Attempted to acquire the license in VS2012 as well (neither work, I assume it's the same tool they use to acquire it).

So you mean that you install the VS2012 and VS2013 in the same machine, it works well in VS2012, am I right? If so, I doubt that it is not the Environment issue. Maybe it is the VS2013 setup issue or the setup file issue.

>>Ran the fix kit for VS2013

Do you mean that you repair it? If not, could you repair it from Control Panel?

Repair Visual Studio: To do this, you simply have to go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program > Right click on the specified version of Visual Studio > Change. Then the uninstall menu for VS will come up and you simply have to press Repair.

To make sure that it is not the setup file issue, please re-download the VS2013 from the official site:

http://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs

Please run the windows update, and then restart your pc, test it again.

I’m not very sure that whether the VS2012 would impact your VS2013, not a good suggestion, maybe we could remove the VS2012, and then re-install the VS2013, test it again.

Check if the problem persists in another user account, if it doesn’t see the corrupted user profile link:

Create a user account
    Fix a corrupted user profile

If still no help, maybe you could get useful information from Rob’s suggestion here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8953f46b-6309-4d9f-ad2c-f9f56363ad17/we-couldnt-get-your-developer-license-for-windows-81-error-0xc03f1014?forum=toolsforwinapps

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 2:26 AM
  • Hi Magnus,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 
    What about this problem now?
    Would you mind letting us know the latest information about this issue?

Best Regards,

Monday, October 13, 2014 7:09 AM
  • Hello,

Forgot to reply to this.

So I did all the steps, reinstalled everything, removed older Visual Studios etc. but to the problem persisted. Is it possible that the developer license registration tool is not removed and reinstalled with these packages?

That being said, in order for it to not impede with my work, I had to reinstall Windows from a clean format and everything works peachy now. I'd like to think that there's an easier way, but there's no way of telling now. :)

Thanks for the effort though.

Monday, October 13, 2014 9:47 AM
  • Hi Muhweli,

>> So I did all the steps, reinstalled everything, removed older Visual Studios etc. but to the problem persisted. Is it possible that the developer license registration tool is not removed and reinstalled with these packages?

Actually I’m not very sure that whether it is the real reason, maybe you could clean up the temp folder in your side, test it again.

If still no help, to really check whether it is related to the developer license registry or how to check it, I’m afraid that you would open a support case like Rob’s suggestion here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8953f46b-6309-4d9f-ad2c-f9f56363ad17/we-couldnt-get-your-developer-license-for-windows-81-error-0xc03f1014?forum=toolsforwinapps

>> That being said, in order for it to not impede with my work, I had to reinstall Windows from a clean format and everything works peachy now. I'd like to think that there's an easier way, but there's no way of telling now. :)

But if it works well now, maybe you are right, it would be the license registry issue or others. Anyway, since it works well now, I will close this case. Thanks for your understanding.

If you meet any VS IDE usage issue in the future, welcome to our forum.J

Sincerely,

Jack

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:08 AM