none
Installing Visual Studio 2015 Community, Express and Professional in same PC

Question

• What happens if Visual Studio 2015 Community, Visual Studio 2015 Express and Visual Studio 2015 Pro trial versions are installed in same PC?

I understand that the lower version would upgrade to upper version but what if I try to uninstall the other two versions, say I installed in the below given sequence:
    ->Visual Studio 2015 Community
    ->Visual Studio 2015 Express
    ->Visual Studio 2015 Professional trial versions

Now I don’t see Visual Studio Community and Express instances in START MENU and Professional is visible. Hence, the Community and Express versions are upgraded with Professional.

I want to uninstall Community and Express version. Would it affect the Visual Studio 2015 Professional instance?

Please suggest!

Regards
    Alanda

Regards Alanda

Monday, January 30, 2017 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Alanda,

Visual Studio 2015 (and prior versions) are not designed for several editions to be installed at the same time. Installing or uninstalling one of them can affect the other ones at disk and registry level. So, after uninstalling one of them it is convenient to use the Repair option of the one that you want to use.

FWIW, Visual Studio 2017, currently in Release Candidate (RC) allows several editions to coexist (Community, Professional, Enterprise) because they use different folders on disk, almost no Global Assembly Cache (GAC) and private registry hives.

My portal and blog about VSX: http://www.visualstudioextensibility.com<br/> Twitter: https://twitter.com/VSExtensibility<br/> MZ-Tools productivity extension for Visual Studio: https://www.mztools.com

Monday, January 30, 2017 10:34 AM
  • Thanks for Carlos J. Quintero's help.

Hi Alanda,

>>Now I don’t see Visual Studio Community and Express instances in START MENU and Professional is visible. Hence, the Community and Express versions are upgraded with Professional.

Not very sure that whether it is related to the setup order.

I check one machine which has the VS express for desktop, VS community and VS prof versions, I could get the VS Express for desktop start menu and VS prof menu, but no community start option since it was covered by the VS prof version.

>>I want to uninstall Community and Express version. Would it affect the Visual Studio 2015 Professional instance?

I also uninstall the VS community version in my side, I could start the VS prof version normally, I also can create the projects in my side.

So generally you could use the VS prof version even if you uninstall other two VS versions, but I agree with Carlos J. Quintero's suggestion, maybe it is related to the setup order. Repair it before using would be better. 

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 01, 2017 3:22 AM