Automate Excel file from sharepoint workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a document library into which i upload excel files programatically. A workflow runs on the excel file and users make changes to the file.
    Once the workflow completes, i want to write code to open d excel file insert timestamp or signature at the end and then upload it back to the file.
    Seems like server side automation of excel file though not supported by microsoft according to this article : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257757 but works fine for me but from a asp.net or c# windows application. If i try to automate excel from a sharepoint custom workflow activity throws this error.

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800A03EC): Microsoft Office Excel cannot access the file.

There are several possible reasons:

• The file name or path does not exist.

• The file is being used by another program.

• The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook.

It works fine from a asp.net or windows application.
    Any idea why this is blcoked from a sharepoint workflow activity.
    What user account does this work under. I gave the sharepoint system full privileges to do that.
    It would be great if you could help me figure this out.

Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:25 PM

All replies

• A long time ago I know but did you ever resolve this issue?
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:17 PM
  • I am trying to do the same thing- we buy some marketing data that comes as a spreadsheet- want to automate upload to SQL Server with as few human steps as possible. Apparantly there is not an ODBC connector that is compatible with SS2008R2 and Office 2010.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 6:18 PM