Redistributing Report Viewer for WinForms Application. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My WinForms application has a comprehensive installation package which deals with prerequisites etc..  I already include the report viewer redistibutable and execute it as a custom action outside of my install sequence.  However - if I drop the boot strapper (setup.exe) for the installation and redistribute the application as an MSI, I get problems when deploying onto machines with UAC enabled, as the process is not elevated at the point at which I install the redistributable.

I am already uncomfortable with the idea of executing redistributable packages like this as a custom action, and this latest problem only adds to my concerns.  I would really like to take control of the redistribution of the Report Viewer control, so I have some questions.

Am I allowed to?  I seem to remember reading that the control was not reditributable in any form other than it's redistributable exe package - although I may be thinking of something else (SQL Server Exception Message Box maybe).

Do the assemblies have to go into the GAC, or can I deploy them alongside the rest of my app?

If the answer to the first question is 'yes', then why isn't there a merge module?  I'd happily create one if people were interested, would that be allowed?
    A.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Thank you for your feedback.  Could you provide more details on the issue with the boot strapper and UAC?

We do not support or service redisting the bits in any form other than the redist exe package.  As a result, there is no merge module etc.

And yes, the assemblies have to go into the GAC.

Thanks.

Stella Chan
    SQL Server Reporting Services
    • Proposed as answer by StellaC - MSFT Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:53 AM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Stella, can you please provide a link to the license/redist restrictions you reference?   There is a lot of info on the net that advises developers to xcopy deploy the reportviewer .dlls and it would be great to have more links out on the net to set the record straight.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:27 PM