none
on opening aspx file,vs restarts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am facing an issue today. On opening aspx file,VS 2010 crashes and restarts automatically.

Have tried following solutions :

-installed sp1 VS 2010

-reinstalled VS 2010

but nothing helped.

If anyone has any idea kindly share.

Please mark this post as answer if it solved your problem. Happy Coding!
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 11:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Tiaya01,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Could you please let me your Visual Studio version?

First, I recommend you create a new solution and try to open an aspx file to check if you can open it or not. If you can open a fresh aspx file, it seems like your previous solution is corrupt. You add the previous projects and source files to your new one.

Second, if you still cannot open aspx file, please try running devenv /Resetsettings in Command Prompt to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.

Third, I also strongly recommend you switch to try a new user account with administrator privileges. After this, run Visual Studio as administrator. To do so: Right click>>Run as administrator. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

Then, try running devenv /Safemode in Command Prompt to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems.

If all the suggestions above do not work, I recommend you collect a fresh log for further diagnose. To log all activity to the specified log file when we apply Visual Studio products, we can issue "/log" option to run Visual Studio instance. The steps would be similar as:
    Go to Start menu >> Run >> type "Devenv.exe /log". Then the log files will be generated in the “%APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\”. Its name is ActivityLog.xml. After Visual Studio launch, you can try to open an aspx file. After the Visual Studio restart, the log has been created completely.

After get the Visual Studio log, you can upload it to an open web site like Windows Live SkyDrive or send it to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com) for further diagnose.
    Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:18 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 6:10 AM

All replies

• I suggest that you post in a topical forum for your issue.

This forum supports .NET Framework installation and setup.

Your question appears to be about Visual Studio issues when working on web applications.

I recommend the ASP.NET forums:

http://forums.asp.net/

This one looks promising.

http://forums.asp.net/1213.aspx/1?Visual+Studio+and+Visual+Web+Developer+Express

Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:27 PM
  • Hi Tiaya01,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Could you please let me your Visual Studio version?

First, I recommend you create a new solution and try to open an aspx file to check if you can open it or not. If you can open a fresh aspx file, it seems like your previous solution is corrupt. You add the previous projects and source files to your new one.

Second, if you still cannot open aspx file, please try running devenv /Resetsettings in Command Prompt to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.

Third, I also strongly recommend you switch to try a new user account with administrator privileges. After this, run Visual Studio as administrator. To do so: Right click>>Run as administrator. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

Then, try running devenv /Safemode in Command Prompt to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems.

If all the suggestions above do not work, I recommend you collect a fresh log for further diagnose. To log all activity to the specified log file when we apply Visual Studio products, we can issue "/log" option to run Visual Studio instance. The steps would be similar as:
    Go to Start menu >> Run >> type "Devenv.exe /log". Then the log files will be generated in the “%APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\”. Its name is ActivityLog.xml. After Visual Studio launch, you can try to open an aspx file. After the Visual Studio restart, the log has been created completely.

After get the Visual Studio log, you can upload it to an open web site like Windows Live SkyDrive or send it to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com) for further diagnose.
    Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:18 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 6:10 AM