none
LINQ to SQL Best Practices RRS feed

• Question

• I started looking into LINQ to SQL couple of months ago but had to take a recess because of a tightened work schedule.  But I'm back and eager to push through.

At that time, I had the impression that there were no L2S best practices yet then, particularly in an n-tier environment.  Perhaps, there had been developments since then.  Can you pls point me to some links?  Thanks.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 7:52 PM

Answers

• Object relational mapping such as LINQ to SQL belongs in the data tier of a multi-tiered application.

You can use LINQ to SQL to retrieve your data objects or project directly onto your presentation objects using the select new facility or write your own plain CLR objects and have LINQ to SQL populate those for you.

[)amien

Thursday, May 29, 2008 11:23 PM

All replies

• I did a search on the net.  What I found does not seem too promising.  Unless I'm missing something it seems that LINQ to SQL is not ready for serious n-tier applications.  That is really sad because I was so excited the first time I tried LINQ.

Does anyone know if there's anything being done now or being planned for the near future to resolve the n-tier issue?

Friday, March 28, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Object relational mapping such as LINQ to SQL belongs in the data tier of a multi-tiered application.

You can use LINQ to SQL to retrieve your data objects or project directly onto your presentation objects using the select new facility or write your own plain CLR objects and have LINQ to SQL populate those for you.

[)amien

Thursday, May 29, 2008 11:23 PM