Source for System.Web 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Im trying to step into the soure code for System.Web.dll using VS 2010 and .NET 4.0.  While I can set that the symbols get loaded for this assembly, the source never appears when debugging, only the disassembly.  I can see the source just fine for other assemblies.

I then I downloaded and installed the source files en-masse from http://referencesource.microsoft.com/netframework.aspx. After installation I cannot seem to find any source files at all related to System.Web. 

Is there a reason that these files are not included?  Has anyone else had any luck with this?  Could I be doing something wrong?

It's rather frustrating since Scott Guthrie's blog post introducing the framework source debugging feature way back in 2007 used System.Web as an example.

Sunday, October 17, 2010 12:38 PM

All replies

• Same problem here. Have you figured it out?

After being unsuccessful with using System.Web symbols from http://referencesource.microsoft.com/symbols, I have also installed the complete .NET 4 source/symbols package and there is a Symbols\system.web.pdb directory with 3 subdirectories (2D100EA4FBF8402AABF0D082596EE12D1, 4DCE5CD8132F4903B0B8181722F1BA481 and 59FA2087AC2D4BB2935A02D70EB1C5971), each of them has a system.web.pdb file in it. However, VS refuses to load any of those files when I try to load symbols (it asks for symbols location and when I point to any of those directories, I get a "A matching symbol file was not found in this folder" message).

No problems with stepping through source of other assemblies, it seems that only System.Web is problematic...

Any ideas what's going on?

Monday, January 24, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Nope...never got anywhere.  Fortunately what I was attempting to debug was not a critical issue, so the lack of source files wasn't a showstopper for me.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 8:01 PM
  • I tried the .NET 4.0 msi from the link http://referencesource.microsoft.com/netframework.aspx, and it only works with VS2010 (10.0.30319 RTM) with .NET 4.0.30319 RTM, not VS2010 SP1 (10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel) with .NET 4.0.30319 SP1Rel

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:50 PM
  • I'm getting burned by this as well. In fact, the versioning of these reference PDBs has caused more problems/stress than they have alleviated from the first time they were released. I have been able to successfully able to step into MS source about once in every 5 debugging scenarios. I'm looking at my VS2012 module window right now, and it loaded System.DLL (among others) version 4.0.30319.18034 - the same version as System.Web.dll - with no problem. But when I try to point VS to the symbol folder for System.Web.dll in my installation directory, I get the above error about the lack of matching symbol file (and I do have the "Require source files to exactly match the original version" checkbox unchecked, although there's no box like that for symbols). I'm wondering if there will ever be a version of VS that doesn't suffer from some variant of DLL Hell.

I really hate to have to use Reflector, but so far, that is looking like my only option.

Friday, July 5, 2013 3:14 PM
  • I have the same problem with System.web assembly, i can't step inside the route class.

Any idea, how i can load the complete pdb symbols?

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 3:04 PM