none
.Net Framework 3.5 with Visual Studio 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition with .Net Framework 2.0 in Windows XP SP2. Can we install .Net Framework 3.5 (instead of .Net Framework 2.0)  and use it along with our current above stated system configuration. If I can use it, do I need to un-install .Net Framework 2.0 and then install .Net Framework 3.0 or can I directly upgrade it. Kindly provide your suggestions.

Note: We widely use Visual Basic in Visual Studio.

Thanks In Advance,

Lokesh R 

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This is a very common question, or at least its a common answer. .NET v3.0 has been built with .NET v2.0 and is really just a collection of classes that sit on top of v2.0, it's not a new framework the same way .NET v1.1 was to .NET v2.0. Personally I think it was a mistake for Microsoft to rename WinFX to .NET v3.0, many people have thought it was a new framework.

So you need to have .NET v2.0 in order to run the foundation classes of .NET v3.0.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 9:01 AM
  • Just to make it extra clear, that .NET Framework 3.5 installation applies .NET Framework 2.0 sp1 and 3.0 sp1 as prerequisites which fix some roll-up issues after release of .NET 2.0/3.0 along with additionally assemblies and functionalities, still the CLR is v2.0.

Thanks

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a very common question, or at least its a common answer. .NET v3.0 has been built with .NET v2.0 and is really just a collection of classes that sit on top of v2.0, it's not a new framework the same way .NET v1.1 was to .NET v2.0. Personally I think it was a mistake for Microsoft to rename WinFX to .NET v3.0, many people have thought it was a new framework.

So you need to have .NET v2.0 in order to run the foundation classes of .NET v3.0.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 9:01 AM
  • Just to make it extra clear, that .NET Framework 3.5 installation applies .NET Framework 2.0 sp1 and 3.0 sp1 as prerequisites which fix some roll-up issues after release of .NET 2.0/3.0 along with additionally assemblies and functionalities, still the CLR is v2.0.

Thanks

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:24 AM
  •  

thank you.. but do we Visual Studio 2005 users need to set anything after installing framework 3.5 in order to use its libraries?  i mean adding the new classes as references work.. but the compiler seems not to understand new Linq expressions (although i've referenced System.Linq, System.Data,Linq, System.Core)

example:

int[] numbers = { 5, 4, 1, 3, 9, 8, 6, 7, 2, 0 };

var numsPlusOne = from n in numbers select n + 1; << the compiler does like this line of code

any input i would be greatful for! 

Monday, March 10, 2008 9:07 AM
  • LINQ features are only supported in VS 2008. LINQ assemblies is just one of the elements that makes LINQ work.(also need other stuff such as compiler etc)

Thanks

Monday, March 10, 2008 9:48 AM
  •  Figo Fei - MSFT wrote:

LINQ features are only supported in VS 2008. LINQ assemblies is just one of the elements that makes LINQ work.(also need other stuff such as compiler etc)

Thanks

aha i see.. many thanks for the clarification indeed Figo Fei Smile appreciate that

regards

Monday, March 10, 2008 11:32 AM
  • .Net Framework 3.5 is built above other .net framework. So it is possible to install the latest framework in your VS2005.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:50 AM
  •  Bermil Espina wrote:
    .Net Framework 3.5 is built above other .net framework. So it is possible to install the latest framework in your VS2005.

yes indeed Smile

but i believe i would need VS 2008's compiler if i want to make use of Linq library without any extra effort in coding..

i like to share this link http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2974143&SiteID=1&mode=1

i hope this helps anyone who had the same q as mine : ) 

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:19 AM