none
How to use catalogs when processing data restoration from LTO tapes with MTF format (Microsoft Tape Format)? RRS feed

• Question

• I developped a restoration application in C# which works fine as long as I need to restore files with easy access. As soon as the file is lost in the middle of several Terabytes of data, it takes too much time to look for the precise file.

This is where I started to look at catalogs. So, my tapes have catalogs (type 1 MBC). I can reach the catalog in the ESET block (End of Data Set) very quickly thanks to the filemark, but I have no idea how to use it to reach files quicker. What should I do with the FDD/Set Map entries?? How can I skip hundreads of Gigas of data in less than a minute and without the filemark to get a quick access on this sequential medium?

Here are the MTF specifications: http://laytongraphics.com/mtf/MTF_100a.PDF (section 7.3)

In section 7.3.2 I can read: "The FDD can be used to quickly determine where individual volumes, directories and files are located on the media." How do I achieve this?

I really struggle on this, so any help appreciated, thanks!

• Edited by Shaaay Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:21 AM adding quote to specify the question more clearly
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:11 AM

Answers

• The MTF specification is outside the scope of the Open Specifications library.  However, we are working with the original poster off-line to verify the objective.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open Specifications

Friday, October 10, 2014 7:36 PM

All replies

• Hello Shaaay,

Thank you for your question. A member of the protocol documentation team will respond to you soon.

Best regards,
    Matt Weber | Microsoft Open Specifications Team

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 1:54 PM
  • Hello Shaaay,
    I will be assisting you with your question. please contact me by sending an e-mail to dochelp at microsoft dot com.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:24 PM

• The MTF specification is outside the scope of the Open Specifications library.  However, we are working with the original poster off-line to verify the objective.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla

Friday, October 10, 2014 7:36 PM