Run Application as Administrator RRS feed

• Question

• I am probably asking this under the wrong catagory, but I have a questions about running an application as an administrator in Windows 7 Enterprise.

I am currently working on some stuff for the enterprise I work for and one of their requests I cannot figure out. They want to be able to take applications that we write, which most of them will require admin rights, and have them launch without the user having to enter creditials at the UAC prompt. Is there a way, using AppLocker or some other technology to allow an application to run as an administrator without having to enter the administrator username and password?

Basically I need an application to launch with administrator rights from a standard user account. Can this be done using a signing certificate or application path or some other way?

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 1:29 PM

All replies

• It is not possible to work UAC around. You will need to enter administrator's credentials if you wish to run anything elevated from a standard user's context. I don’t think this behavior is new, it stays same from legacy version of Windows.

You might want to write a Windows Service and configure it to any account you wish, service will not prompt you for the credentials every time you run it. 

My next phone is Windows Phone 7 and my current browser is IE 9. Check IE9 testing center
    • Proposed as answer by David T. Hunt Thursday, October 7, 2010 6:47 PM
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Service is the answer, if you're not able to reduce your privileged needs.
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 6:48 PM
  • I am probably asking this under the wrong catagory, but I have a questions about running an application as an administrator in Windows 7 Enterprise.

I am currently working on some stuff for the enterprise I work for and one of their requests I cannot figure out. They want to be able to take applications that we write, which most of them will require admin rights, and have them launch without the user having to enter creditials at the UAC prompt. Is there a way, using AppLocker or some other technology to allow an application to run as an administrator without having to enter the administrator username and password?

Basically I need an application to launch with administrator rights from a standard user account. Can this be done using a signing certificate or application path or some other way?

Dear Matt:

Well, it’s hard to say, since the Standard User gets access to the
    admin token, once specifying the requested credentials, since UAC
    prompts with the credentials dialog instead of the regular UAC prompt
    dialog.

Trusted path(s) in your disk are:

C:\Windows
      C:\Program Files

On x64 the both mentioned path(s) above are trusted by default, while
    the third-path isn’t.

C:\Program Files (x86)
    ß Not trusted by default.

You can add it to the trusted list using GPO.

I have tried impersonation, however, it doesn’t work, and you end up
    receiving the “operation requires elevation” message on screen.

Now I am not sure what type of programming languages you used,
    but there’s Windows® API which might work to bypass UAC, by just
    using that API.  

I hope this information was helpful…

Have a nice day…

Best regards,
    Fisnik

Coder24.com
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 9:57 AM
  • Can you re-work the application so that it doesn't need admin rights?  Alternatively, what is your application doing that requires admin rights?
    Answering policy: see profile.
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:59 PM

• Now I am not sure what type of programming languages you used,
    using that API.  

I don't think this is true, since this is the kind of thing Microsoft have worked hard to eliminate with the separation of privilege in Vista and 7 - and if it is true, then you can be sure they will close that hole.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:02 PM

• Now I am not sure what type of programming languages you used,
    using that API.  

I don't think this is true, since this is the kind of thing Microsoft have worked hard to eliminate with the separation of privilege in Vista and 7 - and if it is true, then you can be sure they will close that hole.

Look for yourself then:
    http://www.pretentiousname.com/misc/win7_uac_whitelist2.html
    Coder24.com
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:52 PM