none
Will "Kinect for Windows" be backward compatible with the Xbox 360? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm refering to the new hardware, not the SDK. 

I'd like to tinker with the Kinect for Windows SDK and experiment with how Kinect my be interesting for PC interface, but I'd also like to use it for Xbox 360 gaming purposes. I assume that the new hardware will be compatible with the game system as well as PCs, but I can't find any documentation to clarify this.

Does anyone know for sure? Can you use the "Kinect for Windows" hardware for Kinect games on the Xbox 360?

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• I suppose the hardware will work on the xbox 360 but im really using the xbox kinect with kinect windows sdk now beta 1 v2. so i would say it will probably be compatible in commerical sdk for sure.

Nevermind the amazon version is here i found and it says it is not compatible with xbox 360:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-L6M-00001-Kinect-Sensor-Windows/dp/B006UIS53K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328089703&sr=8-1

You can still debug apps  with xbox 360 kinect with the full sdk installed but not with kinect runtime installed.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Proposed as answer by The Thinker Wednesday, February 1, 2012 11:08 PM
    • Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, February 1, 2012 11:24 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 11:05 PM
  • No. The Kinect for Windows sensor will not work for Xbox use (when you plug it into an Xbox 360).

John
    K4W Dev

Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:43 PM
  • For final apps the answer is no though but with kinect sdk beta installed without the other components it is possible.
    Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:53 PM
  • mods please delete

• Proposed as answer by ChrisCicc Friday, February 3, 2012 7:13 PM
    • Edited by ChrisCicc Friday, February 3, 2012 8:21 PM I answered the wrong question
    Friday, February 3, 2012 7:13 PM
  • my doubt is will the kinect sdk beta work with kinect for windows ?
    Sunday, April 15, 2012 12:22 PM
  • no, the Beta 2 SDK will not work with the Kinect For Windows sensor.
    Sunday, April 15, 2012 6:28 PM
  • Why not?  If it is the same device?  XBox 360 has an USB port, and the devices are identical in functionality?  Was it just a marketing decision in order to get people to have to buy two different Kinects?
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Why not?  If it is the same device?  XBox 360 has an USB port, and the devices are identical in functionality?  Was it just a marketing decision in order to get people to have to buy two different Kinects?
    They are not identical...
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:37 PM