Upgrade power pivot data model doesn't seem to be working RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

in excel 2013, i opened an excel workbook that was created in excel 2010.

when i clicked on the power pivot manage button, i got the message about upgrading the data model.

i followed the steps on this page http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/excel-help/upgrade-power-pivot-data-models-to-excel-2013-HA103356104.aspx

i get through step 6. after that nothing happens. what should happen? does a message appear, letting you know that the upgrade was successful? should something else appear on the screen.
    i closed the workbook and was prompted to save the changes. i hadn't made any changes, but saved the workbook anyway.

i closed excel and reopened the workbook a little while later, then clicked on the power pivot manage button and got the same messages about upgrading, so i figured something went wrong. i read several other pages about upgrading, but did not see anything about the upgrade not working and what to do.

i seem to be having a lot of problems getting started with this power pivot update software. i looked for a book for this version but did not see any that were released. i'm not sure what to make of the problems that keep popping up. any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

tracy

Friday, April 25, 2014 3:57 AM

Answers

• Hi LadyTester,

I've experienced a similar problem in the past with some workbooks containing a Power Pivot model created in Excel 2010, and it was due to where the workbook had been saved on my PC. As a quick troubleshooting step, and assuming you haven't tried this already, could you try saving the workbook to a location such as your desktop and confirm whether the same thing happens?

In case you're still looking for a book on Power Pivot for Excel 2013, a good one is 'Microsoft Excel 2013: Building Data Models With PowerPivot' by Alberto Ferrari and Marco Russo.

Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark a post that answers your question as an answer...If a post doesn't answer your question but you've found it helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Website: nimblelearn.com, Blog: nimblelearn.com/blog, Twitter: @nimblelearn

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 5:35 AM
  • Hi Tracey,

There are two ways that we can check whether the issue is due to the Excel 2013 installation or the Power Pivot model contained within the workbook. The error message hints at the latter:

1. Try to upgrade another Power Pivot workbook created in Excel 2010 using your installation of Excel 2013.
    2. Use another PC with Excel 2013 installed to check whether the same issue happens there.

If the first check succeeds then we'll know the problem is down to the Power Pivot workbook in which case you'll need to check it in Excel 2010 to see if there is anything unusual within the model. However, if the second check succeeds then we'll know the issue is with the Excel installation on your PC. Ensuring the latest updates are installed and doing a repair on the installation may help in this case.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark a post that answers your question as an answer...If a post doesn't answer your question but you've found it helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:02 PM

All replies

• Any suggestions for Tracy?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:05 AM
  • Hey LadyTester,

do you have a picture of this problem?

I think that a picture of that problen says more than 1000 words.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:21 PM
  • Hi LadyTester,

I've experienced a similar problem in the past with some workbooks containing a Power Pivot model created in Excel 2010, and it was due to where the workbook had been saved on my PC. As a quick troubleshooting step, and assuming you haven't tried this already, could you try saving the workbook to a location such as your desktop and confirm whether the same thing happens?

In case you're still looking for a book on Power Pivot for Excel 2013, a good one is 'Microsoft Excel 2013: Building Data Models With PowerPivot' by Alberto Ferrari and Marco Russo.

Regards,

Michael

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 5:35 AM
  • hi markus,

below are the 2 error messages that i get. i hope this is what you are looking for

Saturday, May 10, 2014 9:56 PM
  • hi michael,

i'm not sure when you say i should save the workbook that i can't upgrade  to the desktop.

should i open it in the 2010 format and do a save as to the desktop.

what i'm trying to figure out is what is suppose to happen, when i click OK on the power pivot for excel dialog box, i posted earlier in this thread. for me, nothing happens.

let me know and i'll give it a whirl
    thank you
    tracy

• Edited by LadyTester Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:10 PM
    Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:00 PM
  • Hi Tracy,

You can open it in either Excel 2010 or 2013. If in Excel 2013, ignore the upgrade prompt and just save it to your desktop first. After doing this, re-open it in Excel 2013 from the new desktop location and try the upgrade again :)

Regards,

Michael

Sunday, May 11, 2014 5:13 PM
  • Hi Tracy,

You can open it in either Excel 2010 or 2013. If in Excel 2013, ignore the upgrade prompt and just save it to your desktop first. After doing this, re-open it in Excel 2013 from the new desktop location and try the upgrade again :)

Regards,

Michael

Hi Tracy,

Any luck with this?

Regards,

Michael

Monday, May 19, 2014 11:55 AM
  • hi michael,

i'm sorry, i thought i replied to this thread a while ago.

i did as you said and saved the excel 2010 workbook to my desktop, then opened that file. i still got the same message about upgrading. i clicked ok to upgrade the file, and saved it to a different location, then i closed excel and reopened it and the file, but that didn't work either.

what i don't understand is what exactly is suppose to happen (what should i see on the screen) after i click ok on the 2nd image that i pasted above. after i click ok, nothing happens. should other dialog boxes appears.

how long does this file upgrade take. i also read this page, which lists the steps that i took. i get to thru step 6, then nothing happens

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/upgrade-powerpivot-data-models-to-excel-2013-HA103356104.aspx

thank you

tracy

Saturday, May 24, 2014 2:18 AM
  • Hi Tracy,

Thanks for your reply. After the contained Power Pivot model is successfully updated, you should see the following prompt:

Clicking 'Yes' should close and then reopen the workbook which should at this point should contain the upgraded model. It doesn't usually take long for the model to be upgraded - a matter of seconds as opposed to minutes - but this will vary depending on the model.

Regards,

Michael

Saturday, May 24, 2014 11:13 PM
  • hi michael,

thank you for posting a screen shot of what should appear. i don't ever get that dialog box.

either nothing happens or i get the dialog box shown below.

tracy

Saturday, June 7, 2014 5:46 PM
  • Hi Tracey,

There are two ways that we can check whether the issue is due to the Excel 2013 installation or the Power Pivot model contained within the workbook. The error message hints at the latter:

1. Try to upgrade another Power Pivot workbook created in Excel 2010 using your installation of Excel 2013.
    2. Use another PC with Excel 2013 installed to check whether the same issue happens there.

If the first check succeeds then we'll know the problem is down to the Power Pivot workbook in which case you'll need to check it in Excel 2010 to see if there is anything unusual within the model. However, if the second check succeeds then we'll know the issue is with the Excel installation on your PC. Ensuring the latest updates are installed and doing a repair on the installation may help in this case.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Michael

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:02 PM