none
EW3 - Opening multiple files from a 'Find' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a site in development with some files stored in sub-directories.  I can run a 'find' to locate all files whose filename contains a particular string.  I then want to open all of those files retuned in the 'find' so I can do a 'find & replace' in code view.  EW3 doesn't seem to allow this.  I have to go to each individual file and open it individually.  Not good or efficient if I want to open about 50 files to do a find and replace in code view.

It does not work in Explorer either (I'm using XP) - I get the list of files in a search but if I select all and choose 'open with' and select EW3, only the first file in the list is opened in EW3.

Anyone know a work-around?

Many thanks

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:09 PM

Answers

• Okay, if you need to run a second find operation on all (and only all) the files found in the first find operation...

Select all of the files found. Don't try to open them. Right-click in the list, then click "Select Resulting Files in Folder List". Now that they are all selected, do another find and check the "Selected pages" option.

Jim

• Marked as answer by eyetranced Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:42 PM

All replies

• Hmm, don't think so. I believe that that is a target program issue (EW in this case), because Explorer has no problem at all opening multiple images in Photoshop if I highlight them and use Open With... So, it would appear that Photoshop is programmed to permit multiple arguments to the command line, while EW is not.

In other words, it's not a problem with Find, Explorer, etc., but a characteristic of the way EW accepts command line arguments. Don't know of any workaround for that.

That said, why not use F&R the way it is supposed to be used? The dialog has the option for "All Pages" or "Open Pages." In other words, there is no need to open all pages just to make changes with F&R, so why are you troubling yourself to do so?

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:17 PM
  • You're making it more complicated than you need to.  You don't need to open the files.  Find can do a find/replace on all files.  Check the appropriate box in the Find window.  They can be closed at the time.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:24 PM
  • Thanks Scott,

I take your point.  The issue is a little more complex, but I'll try to simplify.

I have 10 sub-folders, [1] - [10].  [1]-[10] also contain sub-sub-folders.  Subfolder [1] has 50 html files contained in 5 sub-sub-folders.  Subfolders [2] to [10] are exact copies of the contents of subfolder [1]. 

All the files in subfolders [2] - [10] require a find&replace to ensure hyperlinks follow the relevant files associated with that subfolder.  As [2] - [10] are duplicates of [1], I need to open all html files contained in the 5 sub-sub-folders within [2] - [10] but i need to open only those files contained in [2], [3], [4], [5].... etc in sequence so I can perform the correct find&replace.

I can be done in a batch file but I'd have 50 file opened in 50 EW3 windows.  And I'm publishing to a non ASP.net server so Master Files are no use hence the need for 50 html files in 10 sub, and sub-sub-directories!!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:35 PM
  • Okay, if you need to run a second find operation on all (and only all) the files found in the first find operation...

Select all of the files found. Don't try to open them. Right-click in the list, then click "Select Resulting Files in Folder List". Now that they are all selected, do another find and check the "Selected pages" option.

Jim

• Marked as answer by eyetranced Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:42 PM