WF ETW Tracking to a Custom Source in Event Viewer RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to use WF ETW Tracking to log to a custom source in event viewer? Currently its destination is Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Application Server - Applications. The main issue is when I have several applications and also some external applications (Exchange, Lync), they will probably use this log to which might confuse when it goes into production. How to achieve this configuration? Thanks in advance.
    Friday, July 11, 2014 10:41 PM

Answers

• This configuration force me to use "Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Application Server - Applications", and I'm afraid if I use multiple applications, all of them will log to this location which will surely confusing the production support. Do you have any solution to customize it? Thanks in advance.

This issue seems needs more in-depth level of support. If this is critical for your business. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone 

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards

Angie 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:11 AM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:54 AM

All replies

• Is it possible to use WF ETW Tracking to log to a custom source in event viewer?

Hi,

Welcome to Workflow forum.

According to your description above, you want to log a custom source in event viewer using WF ETW Tracking.

In my experience,  a tracking profile contains tracking queries that allow subscribing for a particular tracking record type, not custom source.

Hope it helps.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, July 14, 2014 7:58 AM
  • Is it possible to use WF ETW Tracking to log to a custom source in event viewer?

Hi,

Welcome to Workflow forum.

According to your description above, you want to log a custom source in event viewer using WF ETW Tracking.

In my experience,  a tracking profile contains tracking queries that allow subscribing for a particular tracking record type, not custom source.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Hi Angie thanks for replying, actually I just thinking if I have many applications and it will log to the same place: "Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Application Server - Applications". I believe it will confuse the production support assistant, I'm just thinking to group them per category like this screenshot:

As specified above, I can group them with different sources. Is there any solution to solve this issue?

Monday, July 14, 2014 9:03 AM
  • As specified above, I can group them with different sources. Is there any solution to solve this issue?

Hi,

For custom sources issue, I just found the articles about ETW Tracing below.

Reference:

ETW Tracing 

ETW (Event Tracing For Windows)

Hope it helps.

Regards

Monday, July 14, 2014 9:19 AM
  • As specified above, I can group them with different sources. Is there any solution to solve this issue?

Hi,

For custom sources issue, I just found the articles about ETW Tracing below.

Reference:

ETW Tracing 

ETW (Event Tracing For Windows)

Hope it helps.

Regards

I think there is a little misunderstanding, I'm using ETW Tracing to event viewer, I can control what kind of information that I want to log but I can't control the location/source in the event viewer, here is the screenshot:

This configuration force me to use "Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Application Server - Applications", and I'm afraid if I use multiple applications, all of them will log to this location which will surely confusing the production support. Do you have any solution to customize it? Thanks in advance.

Monday, July 14, 2014 9:33 AM
  • This configuration force me to use "Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Application Server - Applications", and I'm afraid if I use multiple applications, all of them will log to this location which will surely confusing the production support. Do you have any solution to customize it? Thanks in advance.

This issue seems needs more in-depth level of support. If this is critical for your business. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone 

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards

Angie 

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:11 AM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:54 AM
  • Hi, does MS provide you a solution for your (and mine) problem?

Thanks,

Simone

UPDATE:

I found a solution here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee517415.aspx

Seems to work (for me)

• Edited by Simone Cherici Thursday, July 7, 2016 2:38 PM solution found
    Thursday, July 7, 2016 10:44 AM