Assets folder, the mystery. RRS feed

• Question

• User3853 posted

Well, after hours of pain and despair i finally managed to make the Build Host work and compile a blank MonoGame project, which is the first step in these long stairs to porting my XNA game to iOS. But now i got myself stuck again...

So here's my question: Is there any way to set up a content folder? So i can pass all the assets (xnb's, jpg's, txt's, etc) to the bin folder so i can load on my application?

Thursday, May 29, 2014 5:48 PM

All replies

• User12817 posted

First off, your title sounds like a great murder mystery novel.

Secondly, are you referring to a Content project that is shared or a Content pipeline?

https://github.com/mono/MonoGame/wiki/Content-Build-Pipeline

Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:13 PM
  • User3853 posted

Thanks for the reply, Jon.

I just created on Visual Studio a new Universal iOS Empty Project to see if i was able to compile it on the Mac, via Host Build (and it worked, yay!). The second step i took was to import the Monogame library and edit the AppDelegate.cs to start my Game1 class. Some errors later i finally made it, i could build this beautiful Cornflower Blue screen on the iPhone Simulator and on my iPad, so i knew it's running monogame without a problem, even though there is nothing on the project yet.

So the next step is being able to move the already compiled xnb's to a content folder on the root folder of the compiled binaries, so i can load them normally with the content manager. But that's where i'm stuck now, i can't find a way move those assets to the bin folder. Just like it's done with the Xamarin Studio option "Copy to Output Directory".

This is how the project looks like right now.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:17 PM
  • User12817 posted

Sadly I haven't done much with iOS specific MonoGame stuff, but you should probably make a Content Project and it should resolve that for you? (I.E. the copy to output directory/etc).

See this article as it's probably what you're after!

https://github.com/mono/MonoGame/wiki/MonoGame-Content-Processing

Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:34 PM
  • User3853 posted

That's not really what i'm looking for (or maybe it is but I'm drowning in confusion), this article is mustily about content processing, and that's not my problem.

The thing is, the assets that i use on my games are already processed and everything i need to do is to send them to the root directory, inside a folder there. That wouldn't be not a problem if I was working directly with the mac i could just make a folder on Xamarin Studio and just select all files as "copy to output directory" and it's all done. But the real problem here is that i don't know how to do that using Visual Studio and send those files via Mac Build Host.

I don't really need any kind of xna or monogame content processor here, i just need to move files to the root directory as in any non-monogame project.

BUT, you gave me an idea. Those assets don't really need any special processing and I could use a normal XNA Content Project and process those jpg's into xnb's before sending them to the output directory, in this way i wouldn't have to work with xnb's at all! And that's what i'm trying to do in the moment, but i find myself stuck again on how to send those files from the content project to the root directory on the Mac.

A thing that hinders this even more is that i have no idea where this root folder is (working with the iOS Simulator). Do you know where i can find this root folder?

I know there are a lot of questions on this comment and i apologize for it. Also i would like to apologize for any English errors you may encounter.

And thanks for your support ;)

Thursday, May 29, 2014 11:42 PM