DropdownListFor showing the object name RRS feed

• Question

• User1982683974 posted

Hello

I have a Dropdownlist populated by a list but instead of having a list of items I am getting a list of C# objects.

@Html.CustomDropDownListFor(model => model.DisplayOwnerName, new SelectList(Model.Passengers) ,  string.Empty)

and the List is :

var formattedlist = items.Select(item => new SelectListItem { Text = item.FullName, Value = "Passengers" }).ToList();

what should I change so I got the list of values

Regards

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• User2053451246 posted

Where is Model.Passengers defined and how is it defined?

Where are you adding the SelectListItems loaded into formattedlist into Model.Passengers?

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 8:49 PM
  • User-271186128 posted

Hi Yosr Jemili,

According to your code, it seems that you are using a custom DropDownList helper. If that is the case, I suggest you check the code in the CustomDropDownListFor method.

You can refer to the following link: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/stuartleeks/2010/05/21/asp-net-mvc-creating-a-dropdownlist-helper-for-enums/

Besides, I suggest you can refer to the following code to bind DropDownList:

public ActionResult DllSetDefaultValue()
            {            
                DDLViewModel ddl = new DDLViewModel();
                ddl.SlectedValue = 3;
                ddl.Name = "AAA";

var querydata = new SelectList(context.Employees.Select(c => new { EmployeeID = c.EmployeeID, FirstName = c.FirstName}), "EmployeeID", "FirstName", 3).ToList();
                ddl.CountryList = querydata;

return View(ddl);
            }

Code in view:

@Html.DropDownListFor(model => model.SlectedValue, Model.CountryList, "Please select", new { id = "ddlCity" })

More information about binding DropDownList, you can check the following articles:

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/32bcb2/different-ways-for-populating-dropdownlist-in-mvc/

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/4d9083/binding-dropdownlist-in-mvc-in-various-ways-in-mvc-with-data/

Best regards,
    Dillion

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:05 AM
  • User1982683974 posted

Thank you both of you  for your answer. in fact I am just assigning to passengers the formattedlist.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 1:40 PM
  • User1982683974 posted

I think my issue is a covnersion problem between selectlistitem and List since my other dropdownlists are working.

I tried this but still I am seeing an object list :

var items = ownerlist.Where(p => p.IpNumber < 1).Select(x => new SelectListItem { Text = x.FullName, Value = x.FullName }).ToList();

@Html.CustomDropDownListFor(model => model.Vehicle.DisplayOwnerName, new SelectList(Model.Passengers))

Friday, July 1, 2016 2:59 PM
  • User2053451246 posted

You still aren't showing all the code that pulls what you want to happen together.  You declare a variable called "items", but the list the DropDownListFor is using is called Model.Passengers.

Friday, July 1, 2016 6:08 PM
  • User1982683974 posted

My dropDownList is populated with Model.passengers which has the items list.

model.Passengers = items

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 6:05 PM