none
Default file format for saving in MS Office 2016: OOXML Transitional or Strict?

Question

• What is the default file format for saving in MS Office 2016? Is it still OOXML Transitional or did it change to ISO/IEC 29500 Strict?

As was pointed out to me in the Office Forums [1], it's maybe better to post this question here.

[1] https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/afa04da9-4b7f-4fde-ad0b-051ca27ddc8f/what-is-the-default-file-format-for-saving-in-ms-office-2016-is-it-still-ooxml-transistional-or-did?forum=Office2016setupdeploy

• Edited by Cédric Sonderegger Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:43 PM removed wrong "s" from Transitional
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hello Cédric,

Thank you for your question. An engineer from the Microsoft Protocols support team will contact you soon.

Jeff McCashland | Microsoft Protocols Open Specifications Team

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 4:23 PM
  • Hi Cedric,

Thanks for the question. The referenced article has an updated version here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/dd797428(v=office.16).aspx

As you can see from this set of charts, the default is still the transitional WordprocessingML, SpreadsheetML and PresentationML and Microsoft Office 2016 still supports read/write of the strict (ISO/IEC 29500-1) markup standard.

Does this answer your question?

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:51 PM
  • Hi Tom

Thank you for the link and your clarification, that's exactly what I needed!

Already being here, I have a follow-up question:

Are you aware of a turning away from this practice, let's say in a hypothetic Microsoft Office 2019? The versions 2010, 2013 and now 2016 are all saving in the transitional WordprocessingML, SpreadsheetML and PresentationML by default. For the purpose of security of investment I wonder if future versions will operate in the same way. It may however be too early to know.

Sincerely,

Cédric

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 10:05 PM
  • Hi Cedric,

I don't have information on future changes in the default file format for Office products but will update this thread if there's anything I find that can be shared.

Thanks,

Tom

Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:10 PM