none
Displaying Math Equations? RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I have searched high and low for a good solution for displaying equations in WPF. As of yet, I have not found a satisfactory solution. Can someone suggest a good way to do this? What would be ideal is a control that accepted MathML as input. I realize that Word has this facility but leveraging that would require Word being installed. Clearly, this is not acceptable just for rendering equations.

Thanks.

Sunday, March 6, 2011 11:24 PM

Answers

• Hi NTDeveloper,

I can understand you are finding one control or a way to show the equation as it in reality.  I find one project just start to develop a Math Editor control, it may help you: http://equationeditor.codeplex.com/

Can the components in Microsoft Mathematics be used in other applications? Unfortunately, we cannot. However, from w3c.org, it lists some SDKs APIs about MathML, and some components. Such as:

Sincerely,

------------------------------------------------------------------

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi NTDeveloper,

Please view this article about use MathML in WPF: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/recipes/mmlsharp.aspx?msg=3250095

And please view this blog to know more about WPf displaying Math Equations: http://cmiles.info/2009/10/03/some-experiences-in-the-display-of-mathematical-equations-in-wpf/

Meanwhile, Windows 7 provides a tool named: Math Input Panel (in Start > All Programs > Accessories > Math Input Panel); Others, Microsoft publish a tool: Microsoft Mathematics is obviously a WPF application.

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 7, 2011 6:38 AM
  • Thanks for the references.

I still see no straightforward way though to programatically render mathematical expressions. Although the blog post you reference shows how to display equations, it is not really what I'm after. That approach involves numerous tools, conversions and what-not. What I'm after is a simple user control that knows how to render math (whether provided in MathML or some other format). I would not object to actually buying a third-party control that does this if I could find one.

Can the components in Microsoft Mathematics be used in other applications? Is there help document that describes how to leverage these components to display math?

I was unaware of the Windows 7 Math Input Panel, but it doesn't appear to be geared to render-only scenarios and, unfortunately, is only available on Windows 7.

Monday, March 7, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Hi NTDeveloper,

I can understand you are finding one control or a way to show the equation as it in reality.  I find one project just start to develop a Math Editor control, it may help you: http://equationeditor.codeplex.com/

Can the components in Microsoft Mathematics be used in other applications? Unfortunately, we cannot. However, from w3c.org, it lists some SDKs APIs about MathML, and some components. Such as:

Sincerely,

------------------------------------------------------------------

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Bob Bao [MSFT]

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:37 AM