none
Cannot create a connection to data source 'oracleDB'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)

Question

•  

created an Oracle datasource (tried both ole db & oracle client) in Visual Studio 2005 report project  - works fine connecting and preview of report within ide , deployed to Reporting Services web server, received the following error when attempting to run the report on web server:

An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)
    Cannot create a connection to data source 'oracle'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)
    System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.

web server has oracle client 10g installed and connecting to db ok through sql plus (this server also is loaded with VS2005 and the SqlServer2005 db)

any thoughts or direction greatly appreciated

• Moved by Dan Benediktson Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:19 PM Question is about System.Data.OracleClient, not SQL Server data access
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:43 AM

Answers

• The "System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater" error means that the web server cannot find the Oracle components needed for the access. The components are oci.dll and related, they are usually located under oracle home folder. There are several possible reasons for the failure, like:

1. make sure ORACLE_HOME variable is set in system's environment and it poits to the oracle client's home folder.

2. if the server is running AMD64/IA64, make sure this machine has also AMD64/IA64 binaries of oracle client. Download them from the oracle's web site.

3. you can also set the system's PATH to include the oracle's BIN folder, like: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\BIN
    To change system environment variables, use Computer => Properties => Advanced => Environment Variables => System Variables => Edit the PATH value
    Note that after this change you need to restart the reporting web services.

4. Ensure the account under which the reporting service is running has an permissions to access the oracle's home folder. Read access should be enough, you do not need to give full control.
    Postings are provided "As Is" with no warranties and confer no rights.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:38 PM

All replies

•  

I am having the same issue trying to get a Web Service to access Oracle via Oracle Client 8.1.7.  If I log onto the server and execute a monolithic application which has the exact same code as the Web Service - I can access the oracle DB just fine.  But when I try to access the Oracle DB via the Web Service, I get the same error you do.  Please email me - david@plumhollow.org if you find an answer...

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:00 PM
  • Any resolution?  We are having the same issue.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 2:21 PM

• Given Oracle Home Directory Folder, (Authenticated Users) - Full Control.

Thanks,
    Sukrity Mondal (sukrity@yahoo.com)

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:52 PM

• The "System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater" error means that the web server cannot find the Oracle components needed for the access. The components are oci.dll and related, they are usually located under oracle home folder. There are several possible reasons for the failure, like:

1. make sure ORACLE_HOME variable is set in system's environment and it poits to the oracle client's home folder.

2. if the server is running AMD64/IA64, make sure this machine has also AMD64/IA64 binaries of oracle client. Download them from the oracle's web site.

3. you can also set the system's PATH to include the oracle's BIN folder, like: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\BIN
    To change system environment variables, use Computer => Properties => Advanced => Environment Variables => System Variables => Edit the PATH value
    Note that after this change you need to restart the reporting web services.

4. Ensure the account under which the reporting service is running has an permissions to access the oracle's home folder. Read access should be enough, you do not need to give full control.
    Postings are provided "As Is" with no warranties and confer no rights.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:38 PM