none
What are the performance implications moving apps using cloud drive to Azure File Services?

Question

• I run a number of cloud services with 5 or more nodes in using cloud drives. Cloud drive is scheduled to be deprecated in 2015. So I am thinking of replacing the cloud drive with Azure Files service.

For each cloud service I am using one storage account to create all the the VHD/cloud drives. Some people at the time when cloud drive first appeared, told me that to get better performance, I should create only one VHD/Cloud Drive under only one storage account. For example, if I have five instances under a worker role then I should create 5 storage accounts and create one VHD/Cloud Drive under each storage account to be used by each node. I didn't follow that route because I was satisfied with the performance of the apps under cloud services having all VHD/Cloud Drives under one storage account.

My question is, if I replace cloud drive with Azure file services, will my apps perform well having all shares under one storage account or create one storage account for each share?

Thanks,

@nazik_huq

• Edited by nazik_huq Friday, October 03, 2014 3:54 PM
    Thursday, October 02, 2014 11:51 PM

Answers

• Thanks Obama for replying.

Here is the comment from @jaiharidas of MSFT if anyone's interested:

@Naziq, It is better to have multiple shares under single storage account and there is no perf implications. However, please ensure that your ingress/egress and request/sec is within the limits of a single storage account (seemsdn.microsoft.com/.../dn249410.aspx) and use multiple storage accounts if you need to scale beyond the limits.

See the original comment  on Azure Storage Team here: http://ow.ly/ChPNf 

@nazik_huq

• Marked as answer by nazik_huq Sunday, October 05, 2014 1:28 AM
    Sunday, October 05, 2014 1:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Once your share is created, it can be accessed via the SMB or REST protocol from any Azure node (VM/Worker/Web role) hosted in the same region as the storage account hosting the share.

Regards

Friday, October 03, 2014 7:48 AM
  • That didn't answer my question. I am asking about the performance implications of having all shares under one storage account versus creating one share/storage account in pairs.

@nazik_huq

Friday, October 03, 2014 3:53 PM
  • Thanks Obama for replying.

Here is the comment from @jaiharidas of MSFT if anyone's interested:

@Naziq, It is better to have multiple shares under single storage account and there is no perf implications. However, please ensure that your ingress/egress and request/sec is within the limits of a single storage account (seemsdn.microsoft.com/.../dn249410.aspx) and use multiple storage accounts if you need to scale beyond the limits.

See the original comment  on Azure Storage Team here: http://ow.ly/ChPNf 

@nazik_huq

• Marked as answer by nazik_huq Sunday, October 05, 2014 1:28 AM
    Sunday, October 05, 2014 1:28 AM