Will SSMS 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services not work on Windows XP? RRS feed

• Question

• We're working on using SQL Server 2008 R2 Express for a new application we're writing.  I've developed this on a Windows 7 Ultimate box (32-bit).  I've got to put the database on both Win7 machines, and maybe Windows XP Pro machines.  I'm currently downloading the SQL Server 2008 R2 RTM Express with Advanced Services, because I want the GUI interface for managing the SQL Express database.  However, I just discovered on that page, that apparently the Advances Services are not supported on Windows XP.  But if I look on these forums I see people saying that it is supported on Windows XP, at least, if I read it correctly, the 32-bit version of Windows XP.

So, is SQL Server 2008 R2 RTM Express with Advanced Services supported on Windows XP Pro 32-bit, or not?

Rod

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Rod, the official answer is that it is supported on Windows XP SP3 Professional according to the Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2008 R2 found here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506(v=SQL.105).aspx#Express32

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

My Blog

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:40 PM
  • That's good to know, Samuel, thanks.

Rod

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:05 PM