none
Kinect name and image copyright RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting ready to (finally) release my Kinect V2 app. I am creating a website and series of video tutorials on how to use the application, and I was wondering what I can and can't do legally with regards to mentioning and showing the Kinect itself. 

The Kinect SDK EULA states that I may not: 'Use Microsoft’s trademarks, including but not limited to Microsoft, Kinect and Windows, in your Kinect v2 Applications’ names or in a way that suggests your Kinect for v2 Applications come from or are endorsed by Microsoft;"

and that's about all I can find on the matter. I'm assuming that I can use the names Microsoft, Windows and Kinect since my application works with these devices. Beyond that am I allowed to use photographs of the Kinect sensor (provided I take the photo or have the rights to the photo) in promotional and/or educational content? 

Most Kinect V2 apps I've seen use an abstract illustration to avoid this issue entirely. Does anyone who has already released an app have any advice or experience with this matter?

Thank you for your time!

Friday, May 8, 2015 7:27 PM