How to configure Windows 2003 Server for 3 Tier Architecture RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a Windows based system created in Visual Basic 6.0 with COM+ dependency. We tried separating the application into 2 servers. The application server and the database server.  Both servers are running on Windows 2003 server. Our problem is the system runs without errors but it doesn't function properly.  But if we run it on Windows 2000, it functions properly.  What are the things that we should check so that we could configure our system to run properly on Windows 2003 server?

Thank you
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 3:58 PM

Answers

•  

Hi;

Well, I'm not sure if u have done the proper configuration on Windows 2003. But I can give you some procedures to check your problem...

* Look at the machine originating th erequest, Ensure that the COM+ application is configured to talk to the other SQL machine and that calls are not processed locally.

* Check the Identity that is used by the server originating the request. This identity is used to allow request to reach the destination machine. Ensure that both machine are in the same domain and you are using domain account for this. In Windows 2000, you might run this in workgroup mode, but not on 2003 server.

* Look at the machine receiving requests, check the event log/Security if you see some failure logs. This might help if you are using wrong identity.

If you are using firewall, check this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154596

I hope that this helps,
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 10:16 AM

All replies

• If I had to take a wild guess from the little data you provided I'd bet it was an access permission problem. But could you please provide more details? What exactly do you mean by doesn't run properly?

Saturday, July 28, 2007 11:12 PM
  •  

Hi;

Well, I'm not sure if u have done the proper configuration on Windows 2003. But I can give you some procedures to check your problem...

* Look at the machine originating th erequest, Ensure that the COM+ application is configured to talk to the other SQL machine and that calls are not processed locally.

* Check the Identity that is used by the server originating the request. This identity is used to allow request to reach the destination machine. Ensure that both machine are in the same domain and you are using domain account for this. In Windows 2000, you might run this in workgroup mode, but not on 2003 server.

* Look at the machine receiving requests, check the event log/Security if you see some failure logs. This might help if you are using wrong identity.

If you are using firewall, check this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154596

I hope that this helps,
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 10:16 AM