none
Visual Studio 2015 F1 Help doesn't work

Question

• I upgraded from VS2013 to VS2015 Community a while ago. Now the F1 help is no longer functional.

If I highlight (double click) on a class name and press F1, in the past it opened a tab in my browser with the appropriate class information. Sometimes the wrong version, but always a good start.

With VS2015 this no longer happens.

The url submitted is: 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/query/dev14.query?appId=Dev14IDEF1&l=EN-US&k=k(System.Windows.Forms.Screen);k(TargetFrameworkMoniker-.NETFramework,Version%3Dv3.5);k(DevLang-csharp)&rd=true

This was for F1 on the Screen class and that is part of the request. But it fails and redirects to a generic error page.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/Areas/Epx/Content/500.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/query/dev14.query

I've checked my help settings and can't see anything amiss. But there is something wrong, so my problem or MS problems? This is a real pain, a solution would be appreciated.

Monday, November 14, 2016 3:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Don Greenwood,

According to your description, I have test a sample in my side, I have found there are some differences between VS2013 Update5 and VS2015 Update 3, but most API could be navigated to the correct page. Here are my operation results:

1). I have created a console application, in VS2015, when I press F1 on Main letters, VS2015 will navigate to the following page:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd831853(v=vs.140).aspx?appId=Dev14IDEF1&l=EN-US&k=k(ConsoleApplication1.Program)%3bk(TargetFrameworkMoniker-.NETFramework,Version%3dv4.6.2)%3bk(DevLang-csharp)&rd=true

But in VS2013, it will navigate to the following page.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/query/dev12.query?appId=Dev12IDEF1&l=EN-US&k=k(Main);k(TargetFrameworkMoniker-.NETFramework,Version%3Dv4.5);k(DevLang-csharp)&rd=true

2). Then I continuous to press F1 on static, void, class letters in console application, VS2015 and VS2013 could navigate to the correct page.

3). But if I press a letter that it does not belong to MSDN document or which has the same name as some classes that belong to MSDN document, then this results are different in VS2015 and VS2013.

Just as the above project, if I press F1 on Program letter in VS2015 and VS2013 separately. VS2015 will navigate to the following page:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd831853(v=vs.140).aspx?appId=Dev14IDEF1&l=EN-US&k=k(ConsoleApplication1.Program)%3bk(TargetFrameworkMoniker-.NETFramework,Version%3dv4.6.2)%3bk(DevLang-csharp)&rd=true

and VS2013 will navigate to the following page:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/query/dev12.query?appId=Dev12IDEF1&l=EN-US&k=k(Program);k(TargetFrameworkMoniker-.NETFramework,Version%3Dv4.5);k(DevLang-csharp)&rd=true

However, it is just a class name, it does not belong to MSDN document.

4). In VS2015, the link you posted I need to open in second time, the first time I open the link you posted, it could not navigate to the correct, but when I open in second time, it could be navigated to the following screenshot:

PS: we need to copy the link to the browser in second time.

5). I have tested other projects in VS2015 and VS2013, I have not found any clear distinction with F1 function.

So above all, I think VS2015 could navigate to correct without any problems but we need to past the link in twice. I think this is a bug in this navigate link, first please try my description in your side to observe whether has the issue disappeared. If yes, I will help you submit a feedback to VS again. Please feel free to let me know your latest results.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 6:37 AM
  • As I looked at the url yesterday, I was reminded that I'm developing in .Net 3.5 as the application must work on multiple platforms, including Windows XP. The request is, therefore, requesting the 3.5 version of the documentation. As you point out, this is archived and not readily available. Indeed, a second submission of the url (I did it manually) pulls up the archive page.

I'd just as soon see the current version of the document. In fact, I like this change in the documentation structure that shows 'current version' now and 'other versions' available.

It seems I have two choices: live with no F1 support or change to 4.5 for development and remember to change back to 3.5 for release. Pros and cons.

I don't know what MS wants for help, since they're passing the .Net version I'm presuming this is best. But the archiving seems to argue against this. No strong opinion, though current version seems best to me.

Someday many of my clients may finally upgrade their hardware, but the application demands are low and my application integrates with other software they run just fine on Windows XP. The small amount of code that I need to use to stay 3.5 compatible (e.g. Enum helper class) is not an issue in my application.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 7:05 AM
  • Hi Don Greenwood,

>>seems I have two choices: live with no F1 support or change to 4.5 for development and remember to change back to 3.5 for release. Pros and cons.

If our platform is .NET 3.5, and F1 will navigate to VS2008 by default, and we could click recommended version to the latest documents. I think it is reasonable for us that navigation page is based on the .NET platform in our project.

If I misunderstand this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 7:38 AM
  • Hi Don Greenwood,

If a reply that help you sort out the issue, would you please mark this reply as the answer? So it would be helpful for other members who meet the same issue as yours.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 8:35 AM
  • Already voted for your first message. Don't understand your second message.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2016 9:31 AM
  • Hi Don Greenwood,

If a reply that help we resolved the issue, we could click mark as answer, So it would be helpful for other members who meet the same issue as yours.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 9:38 AM