Stopped Build still running in the background RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having a build server with VS2005 Team Foundation Server(Build). Its configuration includes: Intel Xeon E7320 processor with 2.13GHz, 4GB of RAM. I am unable to stop the build completely when needed. I am using the below command to stop the build, when some error occurs in the build(instead of waiting to complete the build).

>tfsbuild stop tfsserver005 "dev" testApp_20090305.1

Microsoft (R) TfsBuild Version 8.0.0.0
    for Microsoft (R) Visual Studio 2005 Team System
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2004. All rights reserved.

Build testApp_20090305.1 will be stopped and cannot be resumed. Do you want to continue (Y/N)?y
    Stopping testApp_20090305.1... Done

As per the command output, the build is stopped. I have observed the same in Teambuild browser also. It's status is displayed as stopped. After this, I have started the build immediately and I got the below error.

TF42045: A build for the team projec: dev is in progress on build machine: app980....

I have stopped the build previusly and in command output it has displayed as Done...Even after this, the build is still running in the background process on build machine. And it is not allowing to run new builds until that background build is completed. Previously I had another build machine, with 2 GB RAM. It was working fine. I have recently changed the build machine to have 4 GB RAM.

Is the RAM size the cause of problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    MCA03032.

Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:13 PM

Answers

•  I am not sure what might cause this problem. I know there are problems with VS2005 TFS Build. I would recommend upgrading to VS2008. In VS2008, any number of builds can be started because we have a Queue. They are then processed as resources become available.

The only fix I can think of in VS2005 is to stop the Build service on the Build Machine any time you stop a build. RAM should not be an issue at all.

Thanks,
    Jason
    • Marked as answer by Bill.Wang Friday, March 13, 2009 4:05 AM
    Monday, March 9, 2009 5:41 PM