MVC5 installer project in vs2015 - Cannot open key RRS feed

• Question

• User-2116304986 posted

I have created a simple installer project using the extension for vs2015 (update 3) for an MVC 5.x project.  Our development server environment runs Windows Server 2008 R2 with IIS 7.5.  The web application was written for .NET 4.5.2, and we have .NET 4.5.2 installed on our server.

When I run the installer, I get past the first few welcome screens, select my web site and application pool, but the installation fails.

The error message I get is "Could not open key:  Software\Microsoft\ASP.NET\1.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key or contact your support personnel.  

I have admin rights on this server, so I'm pretty sure that access rights aren't the issue; I have a hunch that there may be something that we need to have installed to support MVC5 on our server.  Most of the documentation I've read says that everything should be packaged with the installer that is needed to run an MVC5 application, but I wonder if there is still something that creates that registry key that I'm missing.  

Note that we install MVC4 web applications on this server every day during our development and deployment process without issues, so this was something of a surprise.

I'm trying to move up to the newer version of MVC to take advantage of several enhancements.  

Any suggestions on what could be causing this problem?

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 10:00 PM

Answers