Why is Azure Data factory not available for learning for a long period ? 1 month is not enough and Pay as you go is not an option RRS feed

• Question

• After 1 month of Azure free account usage no one likes to get in to Pay as you go .Honestly the cloud billing is still grey area and no one likes to risk their credit card for Pay as you go.

Why not a Azure ADF service be made available for free ? How do you expect Developers to learn this tool ?

If data movement is going to be a issue in ADF why don't you let small dataset labs (which would not incur cost ) or give a way to move data from user machine to user machine.

I have been trying to use self labs but even self labs are not much on ADF. So many restrictions imposed.

Does Microsoft ADF program team understands this ?

Thursday, October 24, 2019 2:22 AM

All replies

• Hi MLTC,

Note: If you upgrade to “pay-as-you-go” subscription, you will get 5 free low frequency activities with ADF which are always free.

The frequency of activities (high or low). A low frequency activity does not execute more than once in a day (for example, daily, weekly, monthly); a high-frequency activity executes more than once in a day (for example, hourly, every 15 mins). 

For more details, refer “Azure Free account - FAQ” and similar MSDN thread.

I completely understand Azure Free Trial is not enough to try more data movement and transformation in Azure Data Factory for more than 30days.

I would suggest you provide feedback on the same:

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/270578-data-factory

All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Azure.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 4:40 AM
  • Hi MLTC,

Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same. And, if you have any further query do let us know.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 8:52 AM
  • Hi MLTC,

Following up to see if the above suggestion was helpful. And, if you have any further query do let us know.

Monday, November 4, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Hi MLTC,

Following up to see if the above suggestion was helpful. And, if you have any further query do let us know.

"

Azure does offer a free trial for 12 months, after the trial users are prompted to upgrade. The system only charges you for consumption."

This above  statement clearly states Microsoft and all cloud vendors want to charge developers for learning .

I want to understand how are even developers learning Azure when they are not given access to build Cloud apps \services ?

• Edited by MLTC Wednesday, December 18, 2019 5:20 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 5:17 PM
  • Hello MLTC , 

Thanks for the feedback . We understand that we need to make Azure more usable to the developer community , but at the same time 12 month looks to be a good time for trying out things for free . Even other vendors are offering similar trial periods .

I suggest you to please go ahead and share the feedback at :https://feedback.azure.com/forums/270578-data-factory .

Thanks Himanshu

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:16 PM
  • Hello MLTC , 

Thanks for the feedback . We understand that we need to make Azure more usable to the developer community , but at the same time 12 month looks to be a good time for trying out things for free . Even other vendors are offering similar trial periods .

I suggest you to please go ahead and share the feedback at :https://feedback.azure.com/forums/270578-data-factory .

Thanks Himanshu

Stop saying its free for 12 months.

Its free for 1 month and then you have to have credit card ( open for charging ) on Pay as you go option.

• Edited by MLTC Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:24 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:24 PM