none
Earlier editions of .NET framework cannot be removed and (apparently) interfere with using a .NET 4.0 app RRS feed

• Question

• Things can be so complicated these days. In the last year or so I have noticed occasional problems with some softawre that appear to be attributable to .NET framework. I also gave been noticing an inability of Windows Update to install security updates for .NET framework packages. I have been ignoring/living with these problems. Now I am committed to getting a new piece of software that is .NET framwork 4.0 dependent to work but it won't work on my XP SP3 machine although it works flawlessly on a machine running Windows 7 Ultimate. It is fairly obvious that the .NET dependency is the problem and it is abundantly clear that problems with .NET 2.0 SP 2, NET 3.0 SP 2 and NET 3.5 SP1 installations need to be licked. Trying to remove the packages using 'add/remove programs' always fails because "The patch package could not be opened. ... etc." (2 cases) or a component (htmllite.dll) could not be found by the installer (the third case). I have tried a manual removal method outlined on a support page but it failed because the right words could not be found in the "comments" column, i.e., the information in add/remove does not match what's in the registry and my system directory. There must be some brute force method that will work. I am quite comfortable with editing the registry to get rid of whatever I need to get rid of and delete some files and then reinstall if installing .NET framework 4.0 is not sufficient (although logic says that 4.0 _should_ be sufficient). Of course the registry has to be backed up before starting but I need the brute force method. Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Monday, October 24, 2011 3:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Aokay,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

This message means all the three .NET Framework is installed correctly and healthy on your side. The updates of .NET Framework offered by Windows Update are the some hot fix and security bulletins instead of some new .NET Framework versions. I recommend you complete these updates to ensure for the safe and security.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:25 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:05 AM
  • Hi Aokay,

I can understand your feelings. The .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool will test all the functions of the .NET Framework you verify. The tool verify all the .NET Framework files, registry keys and test a application. I will show you a log snippet:

[10/28/11,11:44:31] Processing custom action 'Custom Action - .NET Framework 2.0 test application'

[10/28/11,11:44:31] ExecutablePath = 'Netfx20TestApplication.exe'

[10/28/11,11:44:31] FriendlyName = '.NET Framework 2.0 test application'

[10/28/11,11:44:31] TimeoutSeconds = '300'

[10/28/11,11:44:31] WaitOnExit = 'true'

[10/28/11,11:44:31] Silent = 'true'

[10/28/11,11:44:31] Launching process 'Netfx20TestApplication.exe' now

[10/28/11,11:44:32] Process successfully launched. Waiting 300 seconds for it to complete.

[10/28/11,11:44:45] Process 'Netfx20TestApplication.exe' exited with return code 0

[10/28/11,11:44:45] Not running action 'Files - .NET Framework netfxperf.dll' for product '.NET Framework 2.0 SP2' because the OS condition does not match

[10/28/11,11:44:45] Verification succeeded for product .NET Framework 2.0 SP2

The last step of verification is running a test application. From log, we can learn this.

Second, for three Windows Updates, have you installed them before? If not, just update them. These updates is just some security updates which are not contained in .NET Framework installation. They are published after .NET Framework have pushed. The existence of these updates on your side does not mean you have installed .NET Framework incorrectly.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, October 28, 2011 5:45 AM

All replies

• Hmmmm! After posting my inquiry I discovered Aaron Stebner's verification tool (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx) and ran it. It reported NO errors in the 3 versions of .NET framework mentioned and in version 4.0 installed  by the software I want to run and can't run. Windows Update is still offering to install a bunch of .NET updates (as usual). The whole mess is very, very strange. I suppose I'll see what errors Windows Update finds (as usual) and call the software maker.

I could post the log file somewhere if anybody wants to see it.

More another day.

Aokay

Aokay
    Monday, October 24, 2011 4:37 AM
  • Did you read all the way to the end of the verification log?

Did you see anything like this?

"[10/24/11,11:45:21] Launching process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' now

[10/24/11,11:45:21] Process successfully launched. Waiting 300 seconds for it to complete.

[10/24/11,11:45:21] ****ERROR**** Process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' exited with return code -2146232576

[10/24/11,11:45:21] ****ERROR**** Verification failed for product .NET Framework 4 Client"

I ask because .NET Framework 4.0 sometimes *appears* to be installed correctly (per the install log), but is not.

If you find entries similar to the above, please try:

First, remove .NET Framework 4.0 Extended using Add/Remove..., then do the same with Client.

Make sure everything associated with .NET Framework 4.0 is removed with this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

Download the full .NET Framework 4.0 installer here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

Before running the installer, clear out your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

Run the installer As Administrator.

Rerun the verification tool.

Monday, October 24, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Thanks for your time. I didn't actually _read_ the log [g] but I _did_ search it for "****ERROR**** " and found no hit. A moment ago I ran the tool and read the bottom of the logs: [10/24/11,14:45:46] Verification succeeded for product .NET Framework 4 Full and [10/24/11,14:51:48] Verification succeeded for product .NET Framework 4 Client. Same thing for the earlier versions.

Aokay

Aokay
    Monday, October 24, 2011 6:53 PM
  • Hi Aokay,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

This message means all the three .NET Framework is installed correctly and healthy on your side. The updates of .NET Framework offered by Windows Update are the some hot fix and security bulletins instead of some new .NET Framework versions. I recommend you complete these updates to ensure for the safe and security.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:05 AM
  • What Alexander said :-)

Your original comment that "I have noticed occasional problems with some softawre that appear to be attributable to .NET framework" may be attributable to the fact that .NET applications sometimes throw exceptions that are caught in the CLR because the application itself did not handle the exception properly. In those cases, the error message may seem to indicate that the problem is in the .NET Framework when it actually originated in the application.

If you wish to pursue those kinds of issues, please share details.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:25 PM
  • I strongly disagree with your assertion that running Mr Stebner's verification tool for the three .NET versions installed and getting reports that they tested okay mean that, "all the three .NET Framework is installed correctly and healthy on your side." It really depends on whether the tool tests _every_ function of the software or not. Today a software maker suggested checking if I had Web Services Enhancements (WSE) 3.0 installed, which, they said, may prevent a .NET crash. I did _not_ have WSE installed. It would seem that at least some of the time .NET _needs_ WSE, which Mr Stebner's tool did not report. (I'm not the expert -- you guys are! [g], ) Moreover, the inability of Windows Update to install patches surely means that there is _something_ amiss with the software. I am convinced that I will have to remove all .NET frameworks and reinstall although the software maker has me pursuing some other avenues first.

In any event, thank you for your time.

Aokay

Aokay
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:12 AM
  • Thanks you for your comments. The earlier little problems I didn't care about and made no impression on my memory except for the persistent inability of Windows Update to install some updates, namely:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2572073)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2539631)
    Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2518864)

I suppose that I will have eventually to visit Mr Stebner's Mr Fixit tool library for his ".NET Framework Cleanup Tool"

This is all in aid of getting Family Tree Maker to run. I prefer compact, self-contained, bullet-proof software. It is obviously no such thing :{ :{ :{

Aokay

Aokay
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:28 AM
  • Hi Aokay,

I can understand your feelings. The .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool will test all the functions of the .NET Framework you verify. The tool verify all the .NET Framework files, registry keys and test a application. I will show you a log snippet:

[10/28/11,11:44:31] Processing custom action 'Custom Action - .NET Framework 2.0 test application'

[10/28/11,11:44:31] ExecutablePath = 'Netfx20TestApplication.exe'

[10/28/11,11:44:31] FriendlyName = '.NET Framework 2.0 test application'

[10/28/11,11:44:31] TimeoutSeconds = '300'

[10/28/11,11:44:31] WaitOnExit = 'true'

[10/28/11,11:44:31] Silent = 'true'

[10/28/11,11:44:31] Launching process 'Netfx20TestApplication.exe' now

[10/28/11,11:44:32] Process successfully launched. Waiting 300 seconds for it to complete.

[10/28/11,11:44:45] Process 'Netfx20TestApplication.exe' exited with return code 0

[10/28/11,11:44:45] Not running action 'Files - .NET Framework netfxperf.dll' for product '.NET Framework 2.0 SP2' because the OS condition does not match

[10/28/11,11:44:45] Verification succeeded for product .NET Framework 2.0 SP2

The last step of verification is running a test application. From log, we can learn this.

Second, for three Windows Updates, have you installed them before? If not, just update them. These updates is just some security updates which are not contained in .NET Framework installation. They are published after .NET Framework have pushed. The existence of these updates on your side does not mean you have installed .NET Framework incorrectly.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Friday, October 28, 2011 5:45 AM