none
HDFace IFaceModelBuilder fails to build model of face with facial hair (beards, goatees, etc.) RRS feed

• Question

• The precompiled HDFaceBasics-WPF.exe and my custom code both fail to create a model with the modelbuilder.

Both are reporting FaceModelBuilderCaptureStatus_MovingTooFast or FaceModelBuilderCaptureStatus_LostFaceTrack repeatedly in a loop. Even if I'm completely motionless staring at the Kinectv2.

Could it be because I have a large beard? I hope not...as many in the world wear beards.

I can record a stream if you want to debug. Tell me where you want to put it.

--Dale

• Edited by Dale Phurrough Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:34 PM updated title
    Monday, November 17, 2014 8:12 PM

All replies

• Problem still exists. Though in several hours testing, I got 4 total of ModelCapture=Good frames. That's extremely poor.

--Dale

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:39 AM
  • A large beard could most definitely make any face tracking algorithm think you have an unusually large chin.

I've subjectively noticed HDFace tracking and model building seems to work better when I mount my sensor on top of my monitor while sitting at a desk, instead of placing it on the table.

Brekel

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:00 AM
  • Is this the Leno affect?

--Dale

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:47 PM
  • This is definitely a problem (of lack of feature) for the Kinect v2.0 Face tracking.

Beards and goatees present *significant* challenges to the Microsoft HD face model recognition and build engine. Often it fails.

Short goatees require very very slow movements and/or repeated movements. After the model is built, the Animation Units continue to wildly fluctuate on the lower face and mouth.

Beards of any significant size prevent functioning of HD Face models. It can never track and capture good frames. It continuously looses tracking or thinks the face is moving too fast.

This reproduces in the HDFace sample included with the SDK and in my custom code.

I have Kinect Studio files saved for both goatee and beard cases.

--Dale

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:33 PM