none
How to backup visual studio 2015?

Question

• So,I have the visual studio iso,I chose the custom installation and select all.In my country,the internet is quite slow and I wish to backup the full installation in case I got problem with my notebook.Because I just fresh installed my windows so I dont know if there's problem that will force me to reinstall my OS.I have downloaded 60% for like 12++hours.this really takes a long time.So,is there any way to backup all the complete installation?
    Saturday, May 21, 2016 6:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I meant a full image of your harddisk. You could store multiple of these images (when compressed) on an external disk. (On desktops with really big drives, you might decide to have one C Drive with limites space (so 500 GB max is what I used in the past) and I am just getting the drive C as image. (Drive D will be data that is backed up separately)

So I have images starting with a clean Windows 10 system. When I need to rebuild my system, I just restore that image.

Product key is no problem at all because the hardware isn't changed when I restore the image.

When your system is in a windows domain, the membership will be broken because the password of the machine object will be changed by the system. So a new join to the domain must be done.

With kind regards,

Konrad Neitzel

Saturday, May 21, 2016 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

regarding installations, I would backup the install media. Then you do not need to download anything and you can install everything from the sources.

Something else that you could consider (additionaly to the first!) is to macke a complete backup of your system. You could use any software that creates a full backup of the system. Tools that I know are Ghost and True Image but the backup software of windows can do that, too. System Image Backup is the name of the application and I found a site describing it at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/ 

In case of problems, it is quite nice to be able to go back to an old state.

And of course: always backup your data! That is really important!

With kind regards,

Konrad

Saturday, May 21, 2016 11:21 AM
  • So,you mean,create a system image to backup all my systems??

what about the product key?well I used free upgrade to windows 10,what if I use the system image after the 1 year free upgrade?

Saturday, May 21, 2016 4:31 PM
  • Hi,

I meant a full image of your harddisk. You could store multiple of these images (when compressed) on an external disk. (On desktops with really big drives, you might decide to have one C Drive with limites space (so 500 GB max is what I used in the past) and I am just getting the drive C as image. (Drive D will be data that is backed up separately)

So I have images starting with a clean Windows 10 system. When I need to rebuild my system, I just restore that image.

Product key is no problem at all because the hardware isn't changed when I restore the image.

When your system is in a windows domain, the membership will be broken because the password of the machine object will be changed by the system. So a new join to the domain must be done.

With kind regards,

Konrad Neitzel

Saturday, May 21, 2016 5:43 PM
  • I got it.thanks dude.Will save up 100gb for my backup then.My C got only 100gb used space
    Sunday, May 22, 2016 2:19 AM
  • Hi christopher,

Glad to hear you have had your issue resolved. And thanks for sharing us your result here.

If you think Konrad's

reply is helpful, please mark his reply or your reply as the answer, it will benefit to other community members who have the same issue. It will be easier for them to search the solution.

Have a nice day:)

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 23, 2016 9:38 AM