Copy data from one table to another RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

i am in need to create back up of some tables accoridng to some criteria..

I used select into statement to create and copy first data. From second time i need to just copt to new table from original table..

For this i wrote the following sql

INSERT INTO backupTable SELECT * FROM originalTabe

But i got error as follows:

An explicit value for the identity column in table 'backupTable' can only be specified when a column list is used and IDENTITY_INSERT is ON.

I tried after set identity on but that time also same error. Whe i try with a specific column then the query work correctly. but i need to copy all the columns...

Friday, July 2, 2010 6:23 AM

Answers

• i finished by geting all the column from existing table and create new one if not exist and copy..thanks for the help friends
    • Marked as answer by akhilrajau Monday, July 5, 2010 5:19 AM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 5:19 AM

All replies

• The IDENTITY_INSERT should be set within Begin ... END. This is because before you execute you Insert statement the IDENTITY_INSERT should have executed on Server. Check below code for help. 

BEGIN
    SET IDENTITY_INSERT XYZTable ON
    END

BEGIN
    insert into XYZTable(Columns) 
    select * from ABCTable
    END

BEGIN
    SET IDENTITY_INSERT XYZTable OFF
    END

Please mark the response as answers if it solves your question or vote as helpful if you find it helpful. My Blog: http://ashishkhandelwal.arkutil.com
    Friday, July 2, 2010 7:12 AM
  • hi friend,

Actually i disable IDENTITYSPECIFICATION in the new table and my query worked nice...

So can i create table by identity speciafcation false in select into statement

Friday, July 2, 2010 7:28 AM
  • i finished by geting all the column from existing table and create new one if not exist and copy..thanks for the help friends
    • Marked as answer by akhilrajau Monday, July 5, 2010 5:19 AM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 5:19 AM