Set Old Version as the Latest Version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

how is it possible to get a specific old version and make it the latest version?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:23 AM

Answers

1. Check out the current (local) version.
    2. Get a specific version (by changeset, date, label, whatever ...) and overwrite your local file.
    3. Check in the old (now current) version.

You could also reverse steps 1 & 2 as long as you don't force download of the current version on checkout. That's not the default behavior so unless you've changed it, the reversal won't make any difference. However, if that option has been changed, then you'd need to follow the steps in the order above.

DevBiker (aka J Sawyer)
    My Blog

If I answered your question, please mark as answer.
    If my post was helpful, please mark as helpful.
    • Proposed as answer by DevBiker Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Giorgi Zautashvili Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:52 AM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Please be careful on check-in the old version. Yes, that is normal. And also you could continue to check-out the files. But I recommend you to "Take Server Version" and check-out the file again, then compare the file with the latest version, and finally check-in them.

For the steps from DevBiker, you could skip the step 1, and get the specific version from server directly, then check-out the files for editing. And compare, check-in.

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:23 AM

All replies

1. Check out the current (local) version.
    2. Get a specific version (by changeset, date, label, whatever ...) and overwrite your local file.
    3. Check in the old (now current) version.

You could also reverse steps 1 & 2 as long as you don't force download of the current version on checkout. That's not the default behavior so unless you've changed it, the reversal won't make any difference. However, if that option has been changed, then you'd need to follow the steps in the order above.

DevBiker (aka J Sawyer)
    My Blog

If I answered your question, please mark as answer.
    If my post was helpful, please mark as helpful.
    • Proposed as answer by DevBiker Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Giorgi Zautashvili Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:52 AM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Hi Dev,

thank you, yes I do force download of the current version on checkout, so I follow the order above;

at the 2nd step TFS alerts about the conflict and when I click Take Server Version it takes the server version indeed, but checks in the file automatically, then, instead of Taking Server Version I try AutoResolve and it leaves the file checked out with the old version (looks good but I don't like this AutoResolve and all the other "auto" options) 

then, when I try to check in the old (now current) version TFS alerts about conflicts again and I Keep Local Version, but this doesn't check in the file, I have to check in second time to have it checked in (kinda strange behavior)

so, is that normal?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:39 AM
  • Please be careful on check-in the old version. Yes, that is normal. And also you could continue to check-out the files. But I recommend you to "Take Server Version" and check-out the file again, then compare the file with the latest version, and finally check-in them.

For the steps from DevBiker, you could skip the step 1, and get the specific version from server directly, then check-out the files for editing. And compare, check-in.

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:23 AM