none
Crash Combox inserting rows same sheet RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I keep running into the problem of Excel crashing when I use a Macro to insert rows on a sheet where a combobox is active

It occures in 2003 to 2016, so no version specific problem.

If I remove the combox and replace it with a standard select box created by cell validation the same macro runs fine.

If I insert the rows on another sheet the problem doesn't occur.

Through the function  indirect I can still have a view on the inserted rows on the same tab as the combox, but it makes the total file bigger and slower.

I have tried everything I know is possible to refer to specific rows on the tab with the combobox from just naming the rows, with Sheets() naming, with the With statement. Neither way could prevent the problem.

Sometimes it runs 1 time OK, but the next time Excel crashes again.

I thought maybe some parameter needs to be reset, but I wouldn't know which one if I can control it at all

Is this a limitation in Excel, or is there a possible solution ?

With kind regards,

Jeroen

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 6:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeroen,

First please provide your Macro code and tell us how did you insert Combox in Excel. If possible please provide the sample file to us, you can upload the sample file via OneDrive.

Then I will move your problem to the MSDN forum for Excel
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=exceldev&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:59 AM
  • Hello Emi,

Thanks for the reply.

I had to show something on thursday, so I made my way around the problem by introducing a separate data sheet. I wanted the "form" on the same sheet as the data for the ease for the users to quickly show records when browsing through the data.

I commented the code on the Carla sheet that I am using at the moment and put back the code that did crash Excel. I tried and it still does the second time around you try to insert data.

Since it is for dutch speaking people I made some quick annotations in English. If something is not clear I am sorry.

The problem itself is straight forward and reproduceable.

If you want to get rid of the protection of the sheets just presss   ctrl-L  I had to rewrite to many stuff to quickly get rid of it.

Thank you in advance for the effort of looking at it.

It is saved as a xls file, but the problem exists in all versions and in Win 7 as well as in Win 10

This is the link to the file

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=BD4FCE2A65CC749!16817&authkey=!AE9MVlitG2TVZ2Q&ithint=file%2czip

With kind regards,

Jeroen

• Edited by yahroon Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:33 PM typo
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:32 PM
  • We are doing the research about your problem. There might be some delay about the response. Appreciate your patience.
    Friday, December 11, 2015 9:10 AM
  • OK, no problem.

Thank you for the effort and I am still eager to know if there is a setting or work-around to resolve the problem.

Saturday, December 12, 2015 12:12 PM
  • Is there any possibility for an answer, or is the problem to deep in Excel ?

With kind regards,

Jeroen

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:12 PM