Miscellaneous suggestions for Windows Explorer

General discussion

• - The "Run as administrator" item in the context menu in Vista and Windows 7 sets the working directory to C:\Windows\system32 instead of the current directory. So I am unable to run scripts and batch files as admin directly from Explorer which refer to files from the current directory. I have to start cmd prompt as administrator to run these. Please make the working directory for the script/batch file the currently navigated folder in Explorer.

- Right click on an empty space -> New menu shows only "New folder" for UAC protected folders. It needs to show all items (New shortcut and templates) and elevate when creating that item.

- Images and videos used to have a "Refresh thumbnail" command in the context menu to force refresh/regenerate them. How about a button in the Ribbon to regenerate/refresh all thumbnails for a particular folder? Many times thumbnails fail to generate and then they never generate. You have to delete the entire thumbnail cache to refresh thumbnails.

- The properties shown in Tiles view used to change by how we sorted the items in XP. That no longer happens, properties are static now in Tiles view (Type and Size).

- Folder backgrounds through desktop.ini are no longer supported.

- Filmstrip view is replaced by Preview pane but filmstrip view could be enabled on per-folder basis and its state was saved. Why isn't the state of preview pane saved per folder?

- Preview pane does not show previews of subfolders whereas filmstrip view showed the preview of images within a folder.

- Folders on the Send To menu do not expand as submenus

- Each Windows Explorer toolbar or "desk band" as it is called, is forced to be on its own row in Windows Explorer. The Explorer forces the RBBS_BREAK style for every band. This bug originated in Windows 7 and is still not being fixed.

- In Vista, you could click on multiple group headers when grouping is on to select items

- Stack By functionality of Vista completely gone

- Sorting causes selection of multiple items to be lost

- Back/forward navigation also causes selection of multiple items to be lost

- The folder thumbnails are not very helpful in Windows 7 as they are 3D and tilted. Windows XP showed flat thumbnails with 4 images per folder instead of just one like Windows 7 which was easier to identify folders with many photos. Can we optionally revert to flat thumbnails please?

- The list of properties in the ''Choose details'' dialog which allows adding/removing columns in Details View is too huge and mixed up. It should be categorized like Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, Recorded TV, Calendar, Contacts, Other etc. Also, you should allow drag and drop for the many properties so it becomes easier to re-order them instead of clicking Move Up or Move Down.

• Edited by xpclient Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:09 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:31 PM

All replies

• - The "Run as administrator" item in the context menu in Vista and Windows 7 sets the working directory to C:\Windows\system32 instead of the current directory. So I am unable to run scripts and batch files as admin directly from Explorer which refer to files from the current directory. I have to start cmd prompt as administrator to run these. Please make the working directory for the script/batch file the currently navigated folder in Explorer.

This is done in Windows 8. Test it. For me it opens the cmd in the current fodler if I use the command in the ribbon.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:02 PM
  • I just checked on Windows 8 Developer Preview and that's not the case.

I don't mean the opening the cmd prompt for a folder at the current path. I mean running an executable file which you right click from Explorer (any executable file such as an EXE, VBScript, batch file) and choose "Run as administrator" from the context menu without opening the cmd prompt. Or select the file and click "Run as administrator" on the Ribbon's Application tab. It runs as admin but with the working dir set to C:\Windows\system32 instead of the folder the file is in. When it is run without elevating, the current dir is correctly set to the working dir but when running as admin it's not. Because of this, if it's a batch file or script that runs other files in the same directory as the batch file or script, you get a file not found message.

Friday, September 23, 2011 3:35 AM